LOGIN
Lake-Link

circle hooks on tip-ups

1/26/15 @ 5:17 PM
ORIGNAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
I was wondering if anyone has tried this for a length of time and could comment on the effectiveness or lack thereof. I would like to adopt this strategy in order to ensure a live, healthy release of under-sized or C&R fish. I use them in open water and they are very effective.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/1/15 @ 10:08 AM
Carrot
Carrot
User since 1/18/13
? Would be the rubberband trick. Please explain or pic would be best

1/28/15 @ 9:38 PM
Tubes777
User since 1/23/15
I use a mix of quick strike rigs (for pike) and single circle hook rigs (bass, walleye & trout). With the cirlce hooks I like to use the rubber band trick which will "set" the circle hook before they get a chance to drop it.

1/26/15 @ 9:54 PM
Lucky dog!
User since 4/1/02
I am a firm believer in the use of circle hooks, however, one lake I fish, the walleye will grab the shiner and pull out 6" of line and sit on the bottom of the lake with it. I missed so many fish with circle hooks, I went back to a single octopus. Circle hooks work best when the fish is swimming away from the hole, these walleye wouldn't cooperate for me and circles. I haven't tried again since with circles on tip ups, but I would if I got back on a lake where the fish would move away from the hole after grabbing the shiner.

1/26/15 @ 9:45 PM
Huntin dude
User since 10/25/11
Just wondering how do you set the hook with the circle hooks on a tip-up? Also what size hook would you use for medium-medium large shiners?

1/26/15 @ 7:32 PM
Meiz
Meiz
User since 10/9/09
It was incredible. Me & my buddy didn't miss a single fish on any of the 3 tip ups that were rigged with circle hooks, and each fish was hooked in either the lip or the corner of the mouth. I'm a believer.

1/26/15 @ 7:13 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Thanks Meiz, I am going to do the same. I have some 5/0 that I use for big cats. I will post my results too. I just think it makes sense if people really care about preserving the larger fish. It sickens me to see a mid-thirties pike bleeding profusely and returned to the lake. What a waste. Puke

1/26/15 @ 6:57 PM
teenangler15
teenangler15
User since 7/15/04
Now that you post this, it does make a lot of sense. I'll have to try it.

1/26/15 @ 6:43 PM
Meiz
Meiz
User since 10/9/09
I tried it for the first time two weeks ago. It was so successful, I'll be changing out all of my treble hooks on my tip ups next weekend.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.