SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Built a smitty

12/17/18 @ 2:16 PM
INITIAL POST
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

Picked up some new gear this year and needed a bigger sled. Figured I’d do a medium otter sport smitty sled. Made if so the otter can come off easily and be used for other stuff as well. Pulled it on the yard a bit and makes a huge difference. Can’t wait to use it!

Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts
3/9/19 @ 7:37 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

So in deep snow, the skies are going to sink a certain amount. Any thoughts on how tall to make the boards that attaches to the skies, so the sled your putting on top of the smitty doesn't snowplow, or drag on the top of the snow.

12/21/18 @ 7:30 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

“A sled for a sled...seems a bit redundant.”

Not at all. A traditional sled has a large contact area with the snow/ice/ground. What this does is reduces that significantly. With a traditional sled you could easily end up plowing snow with the front as it’s pulled. With this type nothing is being plowed because the surface area contacting the snow is greatly reduced. 

I’d estimate that the amount of effort needed to pull a loaded up sled set on skis is reduced by 70%-75% over pulling that same sled loaded the same way without skis. It is a significant difference and worth the time spent throwing one together. 

12/21/18 @ 9:35 AM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12
Hunter&Hound try pulling a loaded down sled without the skis and then one on skis. Night and day difference. Also, the Otter can be easily removed to be utilized for other things still.
12/18/18 @ 4:12 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

Here is the sled I built this year. Waiting to try it out in Illinois.

12/18/18 @ 8:45 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

A sled for a sled...seems a bit redundant.

12/18/18 @ 8:43 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

“I think old wooden skis would work great by sinking the bolt head into the ski.”

I use downhill skis for the four that I have. Used decking screws and sunk them into the bottoms of the skis. 

12/18/18 @ 7:23 AM
Arod
User since 2/26/13

I built a smitty a couple of years ago to a haul my otter portable. One problem I ran into was attaching the risers to the skis. The bolt I used actually isn't flush with the bottom of the ski. So when pulling on ice the bolt head digs into the ice making the pull difficult. Not being a skier I didn't realize that the skis I used has metal running within the ski. Works well on snow. If possible please post a pic of the bottom of a ski. I think old wooden skis would work great by sinking the bolt head into the ski.

Thanks

12/18/18 @ 12:27 AM
drewster
User since 7/6/09

Ulbian is right - keep your weight in back.  Even turn your auger around so powerhead is in back.  Every little bit helps - if we get snow, that is.

12/17/18 @ 7:58 PM
kyl_me
User since 7/21/08
I assume you have a pick up truck to transport, or you live on the water? Most smitty’s I have seen have removable cross bars so it collapses the size. You will be happy with the build. 
12/17/18 @ 5:13 PM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

Woulda built it up on wood. Something to store tackle, snacks, drinks, etc.

12/17/18 @ 4:58 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Yup...tied to the eyes and run through the tips. It’ll help give just a little more lift.

Putting something on the back would work but when you pack your sled and other stuff onto them keep the weight to the back. Not sure if you were planning on setting so,etching down directly on the skis but I wouldn’t advise that. If you throw a tote right on top of the skis you lose the biggest benefit of these things and that’s clearance in snow. It’ll act like a snowplow so you want to keep stuff up higher. 

12/17/18 @ 4:55 PM
walleyeguy1988
User since 5/28/12

So through the eyes and then through the tips of skis for the rope? 

also left some space in back to maybe add on a basket or something for more storage

12/17/18 @ 4:21 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

A bit of constructive criticism on the build. If you move the risers back as far as you can it will pull easier than what it will now. You’ll already notice a huge difference the way it is now but if you want to maximize efficiency you’ll want to move your weight back as far as it can go. This would give the front more lift which is what you want. 

Also....I attach my rope to the front risers as well but I drill holes in the ski tips and run the rope through those holes and then back to the risers. This gives the front just a bit more lift as well. 

Good job all around...  

Displaying 16 to 29 of 29 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE