SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Bite Me Tip-up Box Size

1/19/21 @ 1:31 PM
INITIAL POST
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

Can anyone that owns a Bite-me Tip-up Box please measure it. What are the side sizes and the top/front bottom pieces? You can't see them in a store and want to get a feeling for size.

Thanks

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
1/29/21 @ 8:54 PM
Bug zapper 2
User since 10/7/18

No way in hell are these things worth anywhere near $125 or more!

1/29/21 @ 8:45 PM
trotline
User since 1/31/17

fishen - I bought a used one from a local guide a few years back and copied it while adding some of my own features that I am glad I did. I added an internal battery pack to hold 8 AA's along with a small circuit board. Then I added a small blue led out of the side to signal night bites. Out of the side rather than on top lets me direct it towards my position and doesn't "advertise" my bite to anyone else.  Also I added 2 small toggle switches inside one for an inside light for night baiting and also one for a small green led that is mounted to a small hinge that can either be lowered down just above the water to shine down the hole for an attractor or folded up out of the way for daytime use. It sounds like  a lot of shit that could be in the way but it isn't. Everything is actually quite small and out of the way. From the outside the box looks just like an original Bite Me but is unlike any other. I bought all of the lights, switches, circuit boards, LED's from a distributor that I just googled up. I don't think all this amounted to more than $10 - $12 apiece if that. The bite indicator light is amazing and the green fish attractor light has seemed to be a great addition for night and actually has attracted walleyes for me very well. It shines down the hole so bright that it actually brightens up the area around the box in at least a 25' circle or more that can be seen from 50' away or more. I have only night fished in water under 10' deep with them only because the lake I fish is only 10' deep max. These lights are also really small but also very bright, well made and cheap to purchase. It's kinda cool what a person can actually think of and come up with on one of those nights that you can't get to sleep. These are a bit heavier than the original only because they were made with 3/4" plywood instead of 1/2" only because I had some pieces left over from previous projects. I could make others but my prototypes were right on and I am happy with these and do not really need to. Also for heaters I use a small oil lamp that is about the size of a cue ball. These work very well and I only paid $1.99 each for them. I burn isopropal alcohol in them that I get at the pharmacy. All of the workings are basically identical to the Bite Me right down to the cheap $6.99 manual fly reel. I didn't keep track as to what I have into them but I had the plywood. Maybe $25 - $30 apiece without the batteries? They work very well and can be set sensitive enough to even catch 6" perch or even be set to hold the trip mechanism down for large baits like golden shiners.

As far as getting measurements there are too many to put into writing. There are precise angles and holes to be drilled and the best bet would be to actually copy one like I did. If you could get one you could then copy it pretty easily. 

Good luck - Trotline

1/29/21 @ 9:37 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

fishn soon go buy a couple problem solved it is really that easy 125 buck a pop enjoy

1/28/21 @ 11:21 AM
Tr carper
Tr carper
User since 6/15/15

Why spend that much money on a tip up. When you can build the same thing for way cheaper.

1/28/21 @ 9:12 AM
nphurler
nphurler
User since 6/21/09

No

1/28/21 @ 9:05 AM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

Thanks all, so no Bite-me owners?

1/26/21 @ 9:12 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Not at the moment.  Once I build the new ones I'm sure I'll take some pics.  I see that as a warm weather summer project though.  I don't use candles because they go out easy, we use charcoal.  You can control the air flow with the lid to get it to last longer, like a vent on a grill.  Just have to move the box to the side if catching bigger fish, or they will splash on it and put it out.  Usually want the box out of the way in that case anyways.

I think these commercially made ones are like $120 or more.  Can build quite a few for that price.  I remember we even rigged one up with a rod once.  Line from the rod went into the box and attached to the flag, left the spool open.  Flag would go up and we could go catch the fish on a rod.  I know they make something like that now as well, but this was the cheap homemade version.

1/25/21 @ 10:32 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

My fishing friend Beeler made some that nested inside each other for transport. There used to be pictures of some in one of the ice fishing threads. Some had candles in them to slow the freezing up of the hole. Got pics lakeshiner?

1/25/21 @ 9:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Build your own and save money, I've seen many different designs.  People have been making these for a long time.  My dad used them in the 80's and I still have some of them now.  Can probably guesstimate on the size.  Figure they are a little bigger than a hole, so 12x12 maybe.  The height on these seem fairly high, probably 10"?

I'm making some this summer that fit inside each other to save room.  My plan is to make the components removable (spool, charcoal box, flag).  Something where they just slide in and out with a simple bracket.  That way I can put the components in my gear bucket.  Then I'll make 3 sizes.  One will be bare minimum needed, then go up from there so they all fit nice within each other.  Should take up considerably less room then. 

1/24/21 @ 10:21 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

OK, I see why I have never seen one. Everyone keeps them hidden or doesn't acknowledge they own one.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE