MORE
Ice Fishing

Best water for trout thru the ice

1/26/21 @ 10:22 AM
INITIAL POST
Billbagdaddy
Billbagdaddy
User since 7/6/06

What is the best lake or body of water for catching trout thru the ice in Wisconsin?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
1/30/21 @ 9:34 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

The harbor in Milwaukee is frozen. The browns have been going pretty good lately from what I've been hearing from friends of mine that fish there a lot. If you're looking for trophy size browns, Milwaukee is tough to beat. Here in Port Washington, you can still open water fish them due to the power plant keeping the lake open.

1/27/21 @ 2:55 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Sounds like the lake michigan harbor is your best bet then. Jaw jackers with spawn sacks I hear is the ticket. That's a bucket list trip for me, wish I did more ice fishing when I was in college down there. 

1/27/21 @ 2:31 PM
Billbagdaddy
Billbagdaddy
User since 7/6/06

Thanx Ryman. At present , I live about 1100 miles SE of Hayward.

1/26/21 @ 3:42 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

There are a lot of inland lakes in NW WI that are stocked with brook, brown and rainbow trout as well. The DNR has a nice database to see which lakes those are. I have very little experience trout fishing through the ice to point you towards a lake though. 

1/26/21 @ 12:50 PM
Ryman24
User since 1/21/21

Depends where you live; chequamegon bay for northern WI or Milwaukee harbor for southern. Green Lake and Geneva when it’s safe ice have good lake trout.

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE