LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best Brushless drill for ice augers

12/17/19 @ 11:11 AM
ORIGINAL POST
1jackpot
1jackpot
User since 8/23/10

Looking at retiring my strikemaster gas powered auger and go with the new lite flight and a cordless drill. Any recommendations as to a brush-less drill that has worked well and reliable in cold weather?

Thanks and good fishing to all.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 60 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

8/25/20 @ 7:27 PM
jpvieau
jpvieau
MEMBER since 3/2/07

I have 2 Clams I LOVE the Dewalt DCD 980. The most torque of all the drills. I use the 5 amp batteries and we get a good 40  8" holes per charge. I have 4 batteries and we can go nuts scouting holes.  

We also have a Jiffy Propane and if you check the Jiffy site the have great prices on the refurbished ones. Well, maybe not this time of the year. We got a good $200 of a refurbished demo model that was pristine...

Hope we have ice this year....

8/25/20 @ 8:42 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

The hammer drill has a heavier duty gear system than the non hammer drill units. Likewise the Milwaukee Mud Mixer drill many recommend has a very heavy duty gear train. These heavier duty gear trains stand up better to the excessive torque used to turn an ice drill. 

8/25/20 @ 7:32 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I'm curious, Carpio, if you're only going to use the drill for ice fishing, why would you get the hammer drill?  I suppose if you're going to use it for other things as well, I'd get the hammer option, but you can save almost 100 bucks if you're only going to use it for ice fishing because the hammer option is useless for drilling holes.

8/25/20 @ 6:22 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Make sure it’s a hammer drill!

8/24/20 @ 4:42 PM
Owtdorsmn
Owtdorsmn
MEMBER since 2/12/02

What Walleye27 said...........  Milwaukee 18v Mud Mixer.

2/5/20 @ 9:10 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Right now Home Depot has the Milwaukee 2804-22 kit on sale for $250 with free shipping to your door.

2/2/20 @ 9:16 AM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Got a chance to try my new makita/lite flite out yesterday. Everyone was very impressed myself included. We had 10-11 inches and i drilled 44 holes still said it had half battery left on1 4amp hr battery. Super smooth cutting didnt hang up going through and cut way faster than any auger i have used

1/31/20 @ 6:06 PM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

milwaukee 18 volt mud mixer drill

best one out there

2810-20

180 degree handle

1/31/20 @ 11:17 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I used an old Makita "stick battery" drill for a really long time and liked the durability. It slipped out of my hand once while working on a roof and the bit stabbed into the stack of lumber below. Lucky, I know, but it was unharmed. Lithium is a game changer, and my new "brushless" with my six inch Lazer works like a charm. I have to say that my older Makita with hammer mode works too, and it's not brushless. Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Ridgid and others work too. Just use what ya got and go fishing!

1/26/20 @ 10:16 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Thanks for the reply! I searched for over an hour on the interweb and finally found a couple people that use the makita and gave it great reviews. I ended up buying it now the wait till it shows up. I cant wait to get it on the ice! Might add a clam plate yet.

DISPLAYING 21 TO 30 OF 60 POSTS
Advertise here
Mojo Ice gets a face-lift for 2021; sporting a new carbon dust blank and flat finish reel seat. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - NEW Mojo Ice Rods
Minn Kota Ultra: Proven in the real world. Year after year. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Ultrex
Built for the roughest conditions with more options and safety first and foremost in the design. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - NEW Strikemaster Pro Suit
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.