LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best Brushless drill for ice augers

12/17/19 @ 11:11 AM
ORIGNAL POST
1jackpot
1jackpot
User since 8/23/10

Looking at retiring my strikemaster gas powered auger and go with the new lite flight and a cordless drill. Any recommendations as to a brush-less drill that has worked well and reliable in cold weather?

Thanks and good fishing to all.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 38 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
2/13/20 @ 8:45 AM
JacksStuff
JacksStuff
User since 10/12/18

Hey, don’t worry about it! You see, my son and I could not find good augers for fishing for a long time either. Well, that’s until I found a large selection of augers here https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers/ . What attracts me and I think in the future for you. There is a choice excellent for using ice fishing, both without fuel and with propane, oil/gas. We stopped at ESKIMO HIGH COMPRESSION 40CC PROPANE WITH QUANTUM ICE AUGER, which has a high-compression engine run powered by the high-octane propane fuel. For us, an important factor was usability, compact size and safety when drilling ice.

2/5/20 @ 9:10 AM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

Right now Home Depot has the Milwaukee 2804-22 kit on sale for $250 with free shipping to your door.

2/2/20 @ 9:16 AM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Got a chance to try my new makita/lite flite out yesterday. Everyone was very impressed myself included. We had 10-11 inches and i drilled 44 holes still said it had half battery left on1 4amp hr battery. Super smooth cutting didnt hang up going through and cut way faster than any auger i have used

1/31/20 @ 6:06 PM
walleye27
User since 1/25/07

milwaukee 18 volt mud mixer drill

best one out there

2810-20

180 degree handle

1/31/20 @ 11:17 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

I used an old Makita "stick battery" drill for a really long time and liked the durability. It slipped out of my hand once while working on a roof and the bit stabbed into the stack of lumber below. Lucky, I know, but it was unharmed. Lithium is a game changer, and my new "brushless" with my six inch Lazer works like a charm. I have to say that my older Makita with hammer mode works too, and it's not brushless. Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Ridgid and others work too. Just use what ya got and go fishing!

1/26/20 @ 10:16 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Thanks for the reply! I searched for over an hour on the interweb and finally found a couple people that use the makita and gave it great reviews. I ended up buying it now the wait till it shows up. I cant wait to get it on the ice! Might add a clam plate yet.

1/26/20 @ 8:42 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

The Makita you mention will handle that bit with ease. The MasterForce is going to be tested a bit more. If that was an 8” bit with less aggressive blades like those on a Pistol bit it would work better. With Lazer blades being more aggressive it might not hold up. My 750lb brushless hammer drill handles an 8” shaver (mora) bit with ease. It grunts a little more with a 7” Lazer bit despite it being an inch less in diameter. 

1/26/20 @ 7:25 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

I will add i can get the makita for $135 with 2 batteries and charger.

1/26/20 @ 7:21 PM
ducks forever
User since 10/15/07

Has anyone tried the makita xph07m-r brushless hammer drill? Has 1090 in/lb i just bought a 8" strikemaster lite flite and looking for a drill for it. I have a masterforce 20v set was looking at their brushless hammer drill since i already have batteries and a 4 bank charger but that only puts out 700 in/lb. i am looking to use this setup 99% of the time i will keep my old jiffy for when i want a 10" 

1/3/20 @ 9:56 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yup, it's the (2804) Gen2 model of the 2704 M18 Fuel

so everybody understands the 2704 was updated to the now 2804

the -20 or -22 behind those numbers strictly dictates how it is sold. -20 is bare tool only and -22 is the kit with two batteries, case  and charger.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 38 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.