Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Best Auger for cordless drill?

1/17/22 @ 12:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Hunter&Hound
USER SINCE 7/24/01

Does it really matter?  I'm considering an 8 inch Pistol Bit for $159.

Let's hear it.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 58 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/13/22 @ 1:12 PM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

Gman, the aftermarket batteries are available all over and all sizes. I have run several of the 9amp hour along side of the MKE branded and they work just as hard, just not as long. They also begin to have problems with shorts from drops as such easier and also found they will take on water and corrode easier.

That being said, replacement doesn't hurt nearly as bad and they certainly serve their purpose as a cheap "disposable" alternative.

10/13/22 @ 12:28 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER SINCE 6/22/01

The 8 inch lite flite on a Clam Drill plate and a DeWalt DCD 991, 5 ah battery got me about 30 to 40 holes through about 15 inches of ice last winter.  I always have a second battery with me just in case and I've never needed it with the exception the one time I forgot to charge the battery.  Sat in my garage for 3 weeks and still got me 8 more holes before dying!  I like the lite flite.  I use a 6 inch Lazer as well on the Clam Plate. With that I get a few more holes, and my 5 inch that i use at last ice when I'm targetting only panfish gets me....well I don't know cause I can't drill that many holes, lol!

10/13/22 @ 6:20 AM
Gman762
USER SINCE 1/10/21

Being the thrifty individual that I am, I found a seller of Lithium batteries on Ebay offering what I assume are batteries from Chy-Na. Look identical (or close) to Milwaukee batteries. Did this thinking that Milwaukee gets them OEM from a vendor in Chy-Na (biggest lithium producer).

On my postal scale, these 4 Amp batteries weigh 15 ounces. Pretty light in my estimation. If they do not hold up, then I will go the 5 Amp route with batteries direct from Milwaukee, just to be sure.

10/9/22 @ 5:26 PM
MRGLAX
USER SINCE 10/20/05

"Am somewhat anxious to cut some holes with it."

You're gonna love it.  Little advice, always make sure it's locked or you pull the battery before transporting.  Got a pretty good slice in the shack one day when I forgot and something hit the trigger while banging around in the sled.

10/9/22 @ 9:18 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER SINCE 8/29/06

I use an orange Nils made for drills. 6" has served me well so far. I've never had an issue pulling a fish up through the hole. 

10/7/22 @ 7:48 AM
Fish Hound
USER SINCE 1/29/02

If your going to be cutting 8" holes do not go any less than 5amp batteries and go larger if possible.

10/4/22 @ 10:47 PM
CCLUND
USER SINCE 5/29/11

I run a 20volt Dewalt with 5AH batteries on an 8 inch Lite Flite. Never an issue.

10/1/22 @ 10:41 PM
Gman762
USER SINCE 1/10/21

Found a pretty good deal on Amazon for a 1200 inch/pound Milwaukee #2804 Fuel for 95 bux. Does not appear to be a refurb and it was advertised as new. Came in original packaging. Yes, it is plenty enough for my 6" Lazer, but I may eventually get an 8" "something" auger and want the extra grunt. Picked up the adapter and plate via Amazon as well. The adapter has multiple slots milled into the body so that the chuck prongs cannot possibly slip once tightened down. It has the safety plate so I won't lose the auger should it somehow work itself loose. Am somewhat anxious to cut some holes with it.

The only items I will need are a couple of 4 to 5 Amp batteries and a charger. 

8/23/22 @ 2:06 PM
Gman762
USER SINCE 1/10/21

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.

8/23/22 @ 11:14 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER SINCE 3/14/08

I have a 7in with a two batterie 5amp Milwaukee.I have never had to use more than one batterie on a day trip.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 58 POSTS
Advertise here
Okuma's new Ceymar HD spinning reels are lightweight and feature-packed with a corrosion-resistant frame, side plate and rotor. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Ceymar HD Spinning Reel
Strikemaster has lightened the proven Lithium 40v for run & gun fishing by adding the Lite-Flite Lazer™ Drill Unit. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ICE FORCE - Lithium 40V Lite
St. Croix's new Skandic Ice Series rods support precise presentations while offering extreme durability, custom looks, high-quality components, and angler-preferred ergonomics. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Skandic Ice Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.