SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Best Auger for cordless drill?

1/17/22 @ 1:55 PM
INITIAL POST
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Does it really matter?  I'm considering an 8 inch Pistol Bit for $159.

Let's hear it.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
12/3/23 @ 8:38 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
Sounds like that would work. One of the biggest considerations is the auger blade style. If you go with a K drill or something with an aggressive bite it's going to work harder than if you get a shaver style (Nils, Lazer, Mora, etc.). I run an 8" Lazer with a Dewalt 999 and clam plate and really have a hard time understanding how something could be faster. The plate is really nice in my opinion because I can set it down on the handle and the drill/battery are off the ice, not to mention it feeling like a standard auger. 
Good luck!
12/1/23 @ 8:25 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01
Anyone out there use Makita drills?  Found one with 1250 in-lbs torque at a good price.

Would like to stay with Makita since my son does carpentry & ATV repair and has every Makita 18V tool known to mankind.  Don't want to spend the money for new charger & batteries for a different brand if I don't need to.
3/11/23 @ 5:52 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
It worked better without that cotton-pickin' handle on the Milwaukee Fuel. The 7" auger was very easy to control, rotten ice and all.
Best Auger for cordless drill? photo by Gman762
3/7/23 @ 9:52 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Did away with the handle and removed the extensions on my 6" Laser & 7" Razr.Had the extensions so that I don't have to bend over, but it seems to be effortless for the guys that use the drill bare. 
2/21/23 @ 12:45 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
Warning with using a clam plate:  still check the tightness on your drill onto the bit!  I did not check mine and it wore out the teeth pretty badly.  The drill is still usable, but I know I'm a dummy for forgetting to check that all winter!
I pulled the trigger on a Strikemaster 24V auger two weeks ago when they were on clearance for 257.99 at Farm and Fleet, so I sold my clam plate and my Lazer auger.  I'm going to keep the drill, I think and just see how long it'll last.  I have had it for 6 years and it really has been a great drill for me.
2/16/23 @ 3:13 PM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06
Gman, You won’t regret getting the plate. I have it on my 8” and 10” setups and used it for the other ones I built for my sons and some friends. Coming from a gas powered auger it offers the same two handed stability. It also provides additional support to ease the stress on the drill and keeps the drill off the ice while you’re fishing. Get the standard plate without the gearbox. With the drill you have and the size of your auger, it’s not needed.
2/16/23 @ 1:37 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
After further review, it looks like a Clam Plate is on my list of things to get. The handle on my Milwaukee 2804 20 simply will not stay on, no matter how hard I torque it on. It saw pretty good usage on Monday, but will require the Clam Plate and an adapter to remedy the situation. 
2/15/23 @ 8:19 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/06

I use an Ion 8” and 10” bit on my drill setup for 90% of my fishing. I took my old Mora 6” and 8” and made adapters to use with the the Clam plate and quick connector. I gave both bits to my son and they work great. Both of them are probably 40 years old and if you take care of them they will last a lifetime. 

2/14/23 @ 9:04 PM
pailfull
User since 1/27/09

Nah lol. I don’t work that quick. Figured for the 20-30 holes a year I’d drill with an 8” a mora would be ok. Should’ve just went and bought the lite flight in 8” today and had both.  Fleets running a 10% off with promo on top of the original 30%. Didn’t exactly wanna put my wife in a bad mood though on Valentine’s Day lol

2/13/23 @ 3:07 PM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

8 inch mora,  best place to unload is the garbage can or the "for free" on marketplace.  Those things are piles,  when the lazer came out they should have put that auger to rest.  I had a 5 inch back in the day and if you didn't replace the blades on a yearly basis it was just WORK.  i can't imagine a 8 is a picnic.  BRUTAL.  They are robbing people still putting those on store shelves.  Hopefully pailful already bought your problem.  lol

2/13/23 @ 9:37 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Pailfull, not sure where you're located, but I have an 8" Mora I'm looking to unload. I'm in the Appleton area. PM me if interested. 

2/12/23 @ 7:46 PM
pailfull
User since 1/27/09

Ha. I picked up a lite flight 6” yesterday on my way out to the bay. (Fleet had 30% off augers) Put a 10 year old dewalt XR on it. I’m in love. Planing on upgrading the drill when I can. Would like a cheaper 8” auger that I can use when I do set tip ups. Maybe a mora with adaptor, for the few times a year I’d use it. 

One less Model 30 on the ice from now on although I will always enjoy that sound. 

2/7/23 @ 5:44 PM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

I have an old 7.5" k-drill paired with a milwaukee mud mixer.  Last year I picked up a 6" lite flight.  Since getting that lite flight I have used the k-drill two times out.  I have three 12 amp batteries and I have fished probably 30 times or more this year and ran one battery dead so far and the one on it now still has two bars.  I only brought the kdrill out because last Friday I squeezed a 26" walleye through that hole on three pound test.  Next time out I brought the k drill just in case I get another big one(I didn't.  Well I hated drilling that hole so much I went back to the 6".  Didn't I have to squeeze a big pike through it on 3 pound test.  I wish they would stop hitting my perch rigs(no I don't).  But I am going to pick up a bigger lite flight.  So much nicer to drill with.  ANd I had new blades on the k drill.

Also picking up a 2804 soon.  I have a friend that works for Milwaukee.  I like to support those that support my peeps.

2/6/23 @ 5:41 PM
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

FYI, I used the 6" lazer hand auger on my Milwaukee drill for a few years.  I never ran out of battery using a 5 ah battery.  This year I bought a 8" light flite and I have killed the first 5 ah battery several times.  Just something to think about if you are looking at auger diameter or battery size.  I get around 500 inches of ice per 5 ah battery with the 8" lite flite.  The 6" lazer got an unknown number of inches because I NEVER ran out of battery, and some days I drilled a crap ton of holes in thick late season ice.

2/6/23 @ 5:10 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Gordon, you're definitely good to go. Personally i recommend the Clam Plate so it feels more like an auger, but that's a personal decision. Just use the side handle on the drill and have a firm grip on it. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 101 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE