SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

beaver dam handles

2/27/20 @ 11:30 AM
INITIAL POST
scare
User since 1/6/12

Anyone ever try and mount a handle on the beaver dam tipups, like they have on the frabills or the ht polars. I was thinking you could just drill a hole in the spool and soldier on a nail. any better options?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
3/3/20 @ 1:19 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Gobbler has the right idea, but make sure you cut the notch around 10-11:00 and not at 6-7:00. One of mine is at 7:30 and more than once a larger shiner has gotten the line out of the eye and plummeted to the bottom with no flag to alert me. I do like the loose nail idea in addition to that, though.  

3/2/20 @ 10:29 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I just use this

2/29/20 @ 9:37 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Jigrod has an excellent idea. Small hole sand off rough edges and keep a few nails in your pocket to use when needed.

2/28/20 @ 7:53 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

On the top of the metal line guide take a hack saw and cut a line through it, then you can easily take line off an spool by hand.

2/27/20 @ 1:40 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

They make a little wood handle to reel those up.  Just throw it in your pocket and good to go.  I have one, but I don't use it all that much to be honest.  Its usually not a big deal to just put my finger on the bottom of the spool and turn it.  But I have it if I want to use it, like if its cold and I want to put my hand in a glove.

2/27/20 @ 1:33 PM
JigRod
User since 11/16/01

If the previous comments are enough of a concern you could stick with your original idea of drilling a hole in the spool and instead of permanently attaching a crank just stick a nail or whatever in the hole when its time to wind it up.  

2/27/20 @ 1:19 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

If you do that your minnow can swim and wrap the line around the handle, then the fish cant take any line out.  The same thing can happen if the fish takes the line back under the spool before the brass line guide can swing around.  It’s a bad idea and you will pay the price sooner or later.

2/27/20 @ 12:51 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I think that the spool would be out of balance and a fish would drop the bait if it ran with it fast when it felt the vibration.  Especially Walleyes.  CARPIO 

2/27/20 @ 12:04 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

If you meant a crank why drill when you can glue

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE