MORE
Ice Fishing

Battery size. Auger drill

1/22/22 @ 6:40 AM
INITIAL POST
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

My drill has a 2amphr battery..is that enough...drill possibly only 10 or 12 holes ...I don't  hole hop much at my age

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
3/26/22 @ 7:55 PM
Last Sniff
Last Sniff
User since 1/15/22

I wish I would've switched year's ago from my old hand auger a mora 8 inch, Lol it would of saved some pain on my rotater cup's.

Here's my set up for the ice, I'll post pictures after. After months of reading thru reviews on different brushless drills I finally settled on the  Hitachi/Metabo brand ( not sure if I spelled it right ). My drill is brushless with 680ft pounds of torque and it came with one Li-ion 18V 3.0Ah battery and then I bought an extra 18V 3.0Ah battery for under $70.00, I paired it with a Clam drill plate with a power gear box combination. Attached all that to the Mora 8 inch auger, for the real test of  the equipment I waited till we had over 15 inches of ice.

The setup never skipped a beat going thru that thick ice and to test the charge on the batteries one day I I drilled over 30 holes on the first  battery and it never went under the 2cnd charge light on the drill, and the next day I used the 2cnd battery and drilled over 40 holes without it going below the 2cnd charge light on the drill all over 15 inches thick, I really don't know how many holes I could've drilled before the batteries went weak or dead. I would highly recommend the brand of drill and what it was combined with it too anyone, tho next year I might buy a new 6 or 10 inch auger not sure which one yet.

Remember always to keep your blades sharp on your auger so it will go thru the ice with ease on whatever type of drill you have attached to your auger.

Battery size. Auger drill photo by Last Sniff
1/24/22 @ 1:28 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Is it a brushless drill and how much torque does it have?

Typically 4ah batteries are the recommended minimum. A 2ah battery will only get a you a couple holes. If I recall correctly, output is not directly correlated with the battery size.  Meaning one 4ah battery will get you more holes than having two 2ah batteries. 

1/23/22 @ 10:37 PM
rjdrez2
User since 12/1/06

Had a set up similar to that.  Right now you'll be fine.  Once the ice thickens to 10-12 inches and more the drill will have a hard time.  AS long as you drill too many holes it should be OK, but it will take a toll on the drill.  Next time you go out, just before you leave drill holes until the battery dies.  That should help you determine if you want/need a bigger battery.

1/23/22 @ 6:11 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Most likely a shaver bit then. I would say that drill is the absolute bare minimum of whats needed at 500-600 inch-pounds of torque.

It may get the job done with two batteries thru early or late ice, but it but it will not be fun or efficient.

If you have it all already like it sounds, give it a shot, just don't swear of drills powered bits when your going in with below what's recommended.

1/22/22 @ 5:42 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

Thanks fr response..

I'm using 6 in auger don't know brand...goes thru 6 to 12 easy by hand. Don't know brand.  It's blue ..and 20 yr old

Drill is a Master force  18 volt. 

Auger adapter is u known too

1/22/22 @ 8:15 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Much will depend on which bit you're turning and how much torque your drill has.

What make and model drill and bit?

1/22/22 @ 6:42 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Depends on the ice thickness, but with two of those batteries, you should be able to drill 10-12 holes through just about any amount of ice I would think? Drills usually come with two batteries, so just toss a spare in your coat pocket.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE