SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Auger Flights

10/23/19 @ 8:44 AM
INITIAL POST
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

I see more companies are getting into the lightweight auger game using the replaceable synthetic  flight sections. Any owners out there that have had them for at least a few years with moderate to heavy use that can give insight on how they are holding up, or if the flights are needing to be replaced? How would you compare them to the standard steel flights in thick and soft ice? 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
10/26/19 @ 5:40 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

I have a friend who field tested Strikemaster’s new synthetic blade last season. He’s a full time guide, so he drill A LOT of holes. He’s on Lake of the Woods and he had issues even when going through 40+ inches of ice on sub zero days.  That’s not to say if you got one it wouldn’t break, but I know guys who have more than a few missing from their K-Drills and they work just fine. These things are field tested by pro staffers and guides in hoping to find flaws before they go to market. So I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. 

10/24/19 @ 8:27 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I have 2 seasons into my kdrill going on the 3rd - I broke two of them the first season I used it and none since then. To be honest - it is a learning curve in how to use a drill/auger combo. You can't bear down on it like you do a gas auger and have to clear out the hole more often (I'm talking 30"+ of ice). I also was not using an extension the first year which could have been part of it. I've heard of multiple people breaking the composite flights though so I assume it is a relatively common issue. They are super easy and cheap to replace fortunately but are obviously not as durable as the steel flights. Still worth it with the weight loss IMO. 

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE