Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

ATV for Ice Fishing

11/3/14 @ 8:48 PM
ORIGNAL POST
bigday96
User since 6/10/05
I'm going to fish predominantly on Lake Poygan. Can a 650cc 4x4 hold up to most conditions that I'll face out there?

Don't want to buy something that will keep my sidelined wanting a snowmobile. I would just go snowmobile but I could use some of the other utility of the ATV.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/9/14 @ 9:10 PM
RoyGbiv
RoyGbiv
User since 3/6/10
I also have a 570 sportsman and a 400. Both have had absolutely no issues in snow just over a foot, no chains. When you get a slush layer under the snow it can affect your travel greatly. Slush is the enemy, especially when its over 6 inches!

11/9/14 @ 6:23 PM
craction20
User since 7/28/10
BigDay,

I bought a Polaris Sportsman 570 last yr and used it exclusively on Petenwell the entire ice fishing season, not once getting stuck. I never put chains on the machine either. Should I? I suppose I could but never had an issue getting through any snow. It pulled my one man clam and auger like a champ. I was and am very happy with the purchase.

11/4/14 @ 4:32 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Yikes, that add is posting the tracks alone for $3700 and you supply the machine. Argo's are horrible in deep snow without tracks. For about the same price you can purchase the track kit for an ATV and have no worries then either.

ATV's are great most years but when the snow gets deep they just are not effective. Chains make a HUGE difference and an ATV with chains will usually get you around fine until it's safe to bring a truck out.

I don't believe either a snow mobile or an ATV is an all purpose machine unless you go the route of the tracks so go with whichever one serves the most purpose for you.

11/4/14 @ 3:04 PM
wet-net
User since 1/8/03
IF I was looking for a atv I would look for a used Argo.http://appleton.craigslist.org/snd/4655533217.html

11/4/14 @ 8:31 AM
crappieguy
User since 2/11/02
I would definitely get chains for it. As said it all depends on how much snow and slush we get.

11/4/14 @ 6:20 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
It just depends on how much snow we get. Last year a snowmobile wasn't that useful up north on the lakes. My ATV was useless first week of January

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.