LOGIN
Lake-Link

Are you done for the season?

3/9/14 @ 4:30 PM
ORIGNAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I am not. Still hoping to catch some nice fish this year through the ice. Conditions right now are brutal with all the snow, slush, and ice up north. I am taking a few weeks off. But, with the temps falling after this warm up and all that ice still left, I'm expecting to have a few trips left this year yet. Hopefully the snow doesn't melt suddenly and eat that ice away, but there is just so much ice left, I'd have to think we have quite a bit of time yet, at least up north and probably most of the state. Nothing better than catching fish in 50 degree weather on top of 20 inches of ice! Are you done? Ready for open water? Or, still planning on catching some fish through the ice?

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 108 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/9/20 @ 10:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

No way! Some of the best is yet to come! We still have very fishable ice up here and the forecast looks decent to hold on for a while yet at least. Very little sunshine. Don't see any major rain. And, highs are in the 30s and low to mid 40s, with lows often from 17-25 degrees.  Hoping to fish through March, but it won't be as long as usual. Usually mid to late April up here!

3/9/20 @ 8:14 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was done with the slush fest up north but now it firmed up. I was up two weekends ago and the lake was like a salt flat. Easy walking. I burned some carbon outta the sled ripping about. Anywho, the crappies were cooperative and I hope to be back up at least one more weekend to set out a bunch of tip downs and enjoy the warm weather with fam and beer.

3/9/20 @ 7:51 PM
beachcomber II
User since 12/7/13

was out on bago thur fri sat. sunday put all my stuff away charged all batteries and disconnected. and vacuumed wood shavings from spikes and waxies out of back seat of truck. season was too short but good.

3/9/20 @ 6:50 PM
Skunky
Skunky
User since 3/15/14

Never got my gear out this year so “yes”!

3/9/20 @ 12:35 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Madison area is done for the year.  We never got more than about a foot of ice this year. Where I fished on Saturday there was still 8 inches of ice but the north shore was not accessible, south shoreline still had some snow on it.  Top four inches of ice cut thru even without pushing the button on my drill, then under that was the 8 inches of "good" ice. Any old holes from almost all season opened right up just by stepping on them, so I had to watch where I was going!  Last year March 26th was my last day on the ice in Madison, this year March 7th, almost 3 weeks earlier!  We had 3 first ice seasons this year - One in November (the earliest I've EVER ice fished!), one in December I thought for sure would last, then AGAIN in January!

I doubt I'll have any time to head north, but I'm sure they still have a few weeks left.  There's only one season I can remember when the ice was out before the first of April in Vilas County - 2012.  That year we hit 80 degrees on St. Patrick's Day!

3/9/20 @ 11:20 AM
USAbrams1991
USAbrams1991
User since 2/13/17

I just got back from fishing the Cisco Chain. There's weeks yet, some spots are softening and those spots are hard to see after snow, so you gotta use caution, but travel wasn't bad.

I'm saying I'll make one more trip up yet, but if we get a bunch of rain up there, the end will come shortly.

3/9/20 @ 10:26 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Minimal ice will be lost this week in NW WI, i'm predicting 2-3 weeks left. Shorelines are still solid and overcast most of this week will keep things at bay. 

3/9/20 @ 10:05 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

reluctantly yes

3/9/20 @ 8:21 AM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

The landing at the local lake where we icefish was pretty torn up last week but we were going to check it out this morning before the rain comes.  About a mile from the landing we see a big bolt of lighting so we turned around.  Maybe it would have been alright.  The forecast is for 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain.  The 19/20 ice fishing season is done for me.  Anyone still hoping to get out?

5/6/14 @ 11:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06
Hey n.pike, schools out soon, so no more giving out grades, LOL! But I will give our annual ice trip in Waukesha county an A+ as usual. If u get down my way this summer I got a spot on a river full of 30+ inch pike waiting for ya

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 108 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.