MORE
Ice Fishing

Are you done for the season?

3/9/14 @ 4:30 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I am not. Still hoping to catch some nice fish this year through the ice. Conditions right now are brutal with all the snow, slush, and ice up north. I am taking a few weeks off. But, with the temps falling after this warm up and all that ice still left, I'm expecting to have a few trips left this year yet. Hopefully the snow doesn't melt suddenly and eat that ice away, but there is just so much ice left, I'd have to think we have quite a bit of time yet, at least up north and probably most of the state. Nothing better than catching fish in 50 degree weather on top of 20 inches of ice! Are you done? Ready for open water? Or, still planning on catching some fish through the ice?
Displaying 1 to 15 of 110 posts
7/18/20 @ 11:27 AM
Winchester30
User since 10/20/12

Yes

4/23/20 @ 6:51 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Posted this on some other threads too. Not gonna walk on these lakes. But i sure want too!! Most like still have some ice. Definitely deteriorating and some lakes ice free.

4/19/20 @ 10:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

OK, maybe tonight was the last time. Ha ha. Got out one more time. I think part of it is just being so bored with so few options of what to do... Just can’t pass up that last chance to ice fish! 

4/18/20 @ 10:45 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks Waltereye! 

4/18/20 @ 5:19 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Good job for You and your Son N. PIKE. Nice pictures 

4/17/20 @ 11:44 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Just incredible! I never thought ice season would last this long. Not even close. 

Got out today AGAIN! 

Ok, no secret, I started at Big Arbor Vitae. The ice there was really good. No reason to measure it, but if I had to guess I'd say at least 10 inches and more likely 11 or 12. In a shallower area on this lake, closer to 14 (estimated 14 yesterday). We Fished a really popular spot, but only 1 fish. Then, my friend texts me and says he has fishable ice on a small to medium lake that he likes to fish about 35 minutes from Big Arb.  He says the bite is on! So, my son and I hop over there and fish the last hour and 40 minutes or so. 

The bite was on!  Nothing huge, but some nice fish and plenty of action. Between all 5 of us, a few nice crappies, plenty of bluegills/sunfish etc..., one big perch, a couple of break offs. A bass. A pike. It was pretty easy to catch fish and it was shallow water so no need for any electronics. Just drop and fish. If no bites. Move. Awesome way to end the year! Probably 10 inches of ice on this lake. Funny thing, the ice actually seems more solid now than a week ago. It has been cold....one interesting thing I noticed is that some open water areas heading into/out of this lake were frozen. Without a doubt, if someone wanted to still get out, there is still time. But, I'm done. YES. I'm done. 

I was thinking to myself today, that I've fished in much worse late ice situations in southern Wi with plenty of other guys out there too. Up here, guys seems to quit before the really late ice....or they are just more spread out with all the lakes we have. In Southern Wisconsin, guys would often ice fish until the very end. Ladders. Johnboats out to the ice. Waders etc....Just don't see that as often up here. 

4/17/20 @ 11:29 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Some pics from today...

4/16/20 @ 10:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got out today and couldn't believe how much ice I found. Was on a lake known for it's late ice. 14 inches. Very solid. Fishing was poor. And cold. Windy. Where did all the snow on the lake go? It was weird, completely not there. Easy to walk on. No slush. No snow. Kind of slippery. 

4/15/20 @ 3:10 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Been below freezing since Easter morning. Down to 1 degree last night. Might have made some ice! The snow in the yard certainly hasn't budged much!!

Warm up starting tomorrow though...

4/11/20 @ 2:11 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Glad you enjoy my experiences Walter. I envy that you have open waters where game fishing is legal. I remember those days....so nice to get the pole out on a warmish April day....Up here, almost everything closed up....even the Wisconsin River is not legal till opening day. 

But, I love ice fishing, and YES, I got out again yesterday in the Conover area. My parents own a place on a small lake. The "good" Ice was only about 5 inches. Then some bad stuff on top of that. So, we were VERY careful and didn't get to our spot we wanted to, but that's ok. Still got to fish for a while. Fishing not very good, but oh well.

I am going to try one more spot next week if possible. The last ice spot up here that I know of! Going to be cold after this storm tomorrow, so things might hold on for a bit on this lake.... We Will be in very shallow water and use common sense, but I think we'll be ok if we can hit it. 

4/8/20 @ 5:49 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

N. Pike, you're killing us here in Central Wisconsin again. But great to at least hear of your "semi final" final, successes and good times. Thanks for the updates. 

4/8/20 @ 5:20 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Nice job Walter! Clueless-glad you got out again! 

I got out again today. 9-10 inches of ice. Very soupy on top! Good fishing, but only 1 crappie and everything else bluegill, pumpkinseed, sunfish.... I’m not sure the difference between the three of those I just listed so I call em all bluegills. Lol! 

I’ve now had 3 “ last ice” outings. I just can’t seem to quit!   

4/7/20 @ 6:49 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

I'm done. Fished a Vilas lake yesterday. Used a board to get on solid ice. Caught a couple nice crappie. 13" ice. Tried a second lake and had 11". That lake was tough walking in the slush and only small perch to show for it. Today I took  a drive to look at other lakes. Came home and put my gear away.

4/7/20 @ 5:00 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Sounds like you guys really ended the season well. Congratulations. Never thought last time I was up there would be the seasons end for me. Out on the Wolf yesterday and had our limit of water eyes.

4/7/20 @ 3:07 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Couldn't pass up the opportunity last night to go with a friend to a Vilas Co. lake "panfishing".  11 inches of ice.

I never panfish. Tip ups only. Well, I try to panfish from time to time, but I'm kind of clueless on how to get a bite. If panfishing was as easy as it was yesterday, I'd do it all the time!!  Only out 1 hour and 30 minutes. Bluegills, crappies, rock bass, LMB, pike, and pumpkinseeds were caught by us. It was truly a case of you wouldn't know what was coming up the hole. Really fun. Very shallow water too.... Cool to see the pike on small stuff. Small pike, but they sure put a bend on the rod! 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 110 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE