Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Are permanent shanties necessary?

12/1/19 @ 8:56 AM
ORIGNAL POST
jkb
User since 6/25/02

With the advent of new portable  ice shanties that are as comfortable and easy to set up as any permanent shack, are permanents really necessary.  Hear me out permanent users.

There are so many conflicts that arise from the use of permanents.  In no other situation can fisherman lay claim to an area whether they are on the ice or not.  Many perm users park their shack over a point , inside turn or crib denying all other anglers access to a prime area.  They get upset when anyone comes “too close”. If we follow perm users mind set then in areas where there are many permanents lined up on a break line then no one except perm owners can fish this area.  ( A large inside turn on Shawano lake comes to mind). A local example is when a teenage kid got screamed at and threatened because he set tip ups within 100 yds of a shack.

Secondly, permanent ice shanties have become a hot spot for burglaries and many users have to empty their shack or leave it open to avoid loss or damage to their shack.  This negates the convenience argument. 

Lastly issues with shacks freezing into the ice and being left on the lake to sink to the bottom would be eliminated.

What do you think?

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/3/19 @ 8:16 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

Permanents aren't as big a problem as people with them that think they own a large radius around them.  I am not for banning them though.  I am not a huge fan of over regulation and for some people it's the only way they can really go.  I know around me a organization has one specifically for disabled people.  Saying that, if you put that permanent on the "hot spot" don't get mad at others for fishing around you.  Like most things it isn't the device that's the issue, it's the people using it.  If I had a permanent, I'd put it on a good spot but a spot I don't expect a lot of people.  I.E I wouldn't put it on top of a well known fish crib.

12/3/19 @ 7:31 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

well said jkb 

12/3/19 @ 5:01 AM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

Ulbian,  I have only fished Shawano Lake one time during the state high school ice fishing tournament 4 years ago.  There were a ton of perms out there.  I just don’t see that on the lakes I fish around Fox Lake in Dodge county.

Awichman, if everyone was like you there would not be a problem with perms.  The incident I mentioned earlier where a perm owner verbally assaulted and physically threatened a 16 year old kid for drilling holes within 100 yards of his shack occurred on Fox Lake.  He was apparently fishing the perm owners area in the shallows.

Perhaps a permit system could be used for disabled individuals.  This could be easily abused.  My father ice fished into his late 70’s by himself.  Drove out on the ice, drilled his own holes with a jiffy and sat in his truck and fished out the door.

If you brought out a perm with a vehicle , you probably are driving out so I don’t see the huge problem with dragging it in and out.

Just food for thought.  Snakester opinions breed ideas which can be translated into law.  That is the beauty of the Conservation Congress.  Your opinions do matter.

12/3/19 @ 12:35 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

It’s funny you mention Shawano. 6000+ acres out there and 90% of the shacks are grouped together in a handful of spots. There are many, many places on that lake where you can catch a ton of fish and you won’t be within half a mile of anyone. That lake is ground zero for idiot behavior on the ice. 

The days of throwing together a basic permanent shack in your back yard are coming to an end. Society as a whole is looking for more convenience and comfort so a wooden box with a wood stove is becoming a relic. They want TVs, forced air heat, microwaves, coffee makers, etc. While that stuff is nice it is simply not practical unless you plan on spending multiple days in a row on the ice. For a casual angler who might get out once and sometimes twice a week it’s not needed and a portable will do. 

Don’t get me wrong, someday I would love to have an ice castle type rig so I can make overnight trips a bit more comfortable but to me I’m not sure the hassle would be worth it. To each their own I guess. I don’t like crowds at all so I never run into the issues of getting to close to a permanent. You can join the crowd and set up close to a bunch of permanent shacks but you might not know why they are there. Just because a few shacks are on an area doesn’t mean that it’s a productive spot. That’s where paying attention to things pays off. If there’s a guy out by himself day after day sitting on a bucket cutting holes with a chisel in terrible weather to me that’s a bigger tip off than a bunch of shacks. 

12/2/19 @ 6:24 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

It’s a free world unless someone makes a law. Opinions don’t mean a thing. 

12/2/19 @ 3:29 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Excellent topic jkb...need more of these on here.

12/2/19 @ 3:14 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

The issue with the “if you can drag out, then drag it back” is it is flawed. Why should someone who is older and can’t exert that much physical effort, or someone who is missing a limb. Be forced to because of the sins of another? There is a guy who ice fishes the Petenwell flowage who has one leg. It would be really tough for him to drag it on and off alone. He can pull up to it and drill a few holes while standing on a flat dry floor and catch some fish. 

The other problem I see with the taking it off when not in use is you’ll get people who won’t mark their shacks. Making it dangerous for snowmobiles at night. 

The jerks always get their comeuppance. Does it suck that another will replace them? Absolutely, but aside from restrictions that will unnecessarily  punish those who need a permanent shack that they can drive to and fish. There’s not a real solution.

I am always inviting and willing to chop it up with my fellow fishermen. So if you see a 2014 Blue Chevy Silverado 1500. Stop by and say hi. I don’t drink alcohol  while fishing, but I’ll offer you a coffee or soda. 

12/2/19 @ 12:53 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
MEMBER since 6/22/01

How about having to remove the shack daily after use?  Years ago there used to be tons of permanent shacks on the Fox River in Green Bay, until the DNR got tired of the ice breaking up and the shacks floating (or sinking) downriver.  Eventually, around the mid 1990's I believe, they put in a rule that permanant shacks could be used, but needed to be removed daily.  It's a little safer this way too, keeping the shacks near shore.  A lake I fish in Southern Wisconsin most of the permanents are hauled out to the spots for a few days during the annual lake's derby, then brought back into shore - people don't want to risk leaving the shack out there.  I see no problems.  If you can drag it out there you can drag it back!

12/2/19 @ 12:44 PM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Minnesota has a licensing fee for all shacks, perm or portable. It still doesn't stop the fighting over spots. Charging to claim your spot or numbers would really amp up the issue. How would you even enforce something like that? Not like the DNR has endless CO's to send out to check to make sure you're in the right zone. Fishing is a recreational sport. I don't want to have to carry my land permits on where I can and can't fish a public lake. 

The issue with moving them close to shore is that if someone like my dad. Who can drive to the shack and drill the holes using his K-drill wouldn't be able to safely move the shanty to and from the spot to fish. What about kids then as well? When I was younger we lived on a lake in Northern WI. For a while we had a perm out there that after school I would walk out and fish from. I was 12 at the time, no way I could move a shack myself. 

I doubt this issue ever gets better unfortunately. As long as there are people who think the lake and where their shack sits is their's. It won't change.

12/2/19 @ 11:53 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yikes. Most permanent shack owners are territorial enough. Can you imagine what they'd be like if they had to pay for "their" spot?

I'm fine with people having permanent shacks but think that there should be some rules to level the playing field. Every year, some of the best spots that I fish early ice end up with a permanent shack parked over it for the rest of the season. I'd be for having to park the shack close to the launch when not occupied. That way no one can claim a spot as theirs on public waters.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.