LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Annoying Things that happen when ice fishing!

12/8/20 @ 10:53 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Bait bucket lid flying away, line that gets stuck on ice chunks around the hole as you are rewrapping it, Wind blowing snow over your holes and leaving a mushy cap of wet thick snow all around the area, things falling out of your sled on the way back off the lake, and buying large shiners that are really mediums. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 95 posts
1/7/22 @ 10:11 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Injuries.

4 of us hit the ice last year.  One guy blew both his ACL and MCL.  One guy wrecked his shoulder.  Another person broke their wrist drilling holes.  Ungh.  Ice fishing trip from hell!

Here was an interesting one.  It is sub zero outside at night.  We are on the ice and packing up to go home.  Hub is down, I'm picking up tip ups, almost ready to go.  I walk to the last one and the flag goes up.  I'm already super cold.  I pull up the tip up, fish has spooled me.  I start bringing in the fish, knowing it is a pike.  Takes about 3-4 minutes to get that fish to the hole.  And it is a pike, about 35 inches long.

We release the fish, now my hands are blocks of ice and there sits the spooled tip up on the ice.  Ungh.  I just picked the thing up, put it in the truck and took it home.  Spent about an hour putting it back together the next day.  Annoying.

1/7/22 @ 7:44 AM
Kayaker 8
User since 8/28/20

Pop up shelter supports getting tangled and twisted during set up and or takedown!

1/7/22 @ 7:00 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Trying to tie on a jig on 2 pound test in the wind!!  Getting harder and harder to see the line!!!

1/6/22 @ 6:59 PM
brews4995
brews4995
User since 4/2/10

You catch a fish, it comes unhooked as it comes out the hole and your line and lure land on the heater, burning your line off.

3/15/21 @ 5:12 PM
Alternative Reefer
User since 5/4/18

THE ICE MELTING!

3/7/21 @ 9:54 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I know that feeling too, James and John. Seeing giant 13-14 inch crappie swim by like a ghost ship on camera, while a 7 inch gill hammers the spoon instead. Then when you finally do hook one of those monsters, the hook always seems to come out while they are still in the hole. Best case scenario- I save the fish , but my glove and arm are soaking wet up to the elbow

3/6/21 @ 10:41 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

John13 knows annoying like I do. Watched big mama perch swim up to my  waxie on a small rocker lure. She grabbed the waxy just short of the hook and shook her head like a bulldog tearing the bug free for an easy snack. The next drop, a small one rushed in inhaled the whole thing and I wrestled with the pliers to get it off the hook while the rest of the perch on the camera got bored and swam away. Very VERY annoying!

3/5/21 @ 9:34 AM
redhook
User since 12/25/09

Walking down the walkway at Cold Springs and seeing all the trash, I did pick up a couple of cans,  a plastic cup and fish line as I left last night. 

3/3/21 @ 11:15 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Yeah sometimes it seems like you just look at it wrong and boom instant rats nest always seems to happen when the bite is hot lol

3/3/21 @ 10:59 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Agree. How do I get a knot in new tip up line when the only open part of the line is at the end and it's fine? 

3/3/21 @ 4:08 AM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Some of those knots defy the laws of physics.

3/3/21 @ 1:05 AM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01

"3. Tip up line getting tangled inside itself. Sometimes I wonder how these knots even happen!"

And if you ever wanted to tie those same knots on purpose you never could.

3/2/21 @ 11:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Cobar-That's unreal. I can only imagine....

3/2/21 @ 10:23 PM
CrystalLakeMonster
CrystalLakeMonster
User since 11/22/10

Not wearing ice cleats on a very slick lake while walking back into gail force winds.

3/2/21 @ 9:20 PM
Fv.screaming drags.com
Fv.screaming drags.com
User since 3/29/20

Sitting in my portable shanty today the wind flipped it on it's face and took me for a ride scattering my gear across the ice fishing was good though lol

Displaying 1 to 15 of 95 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE