MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Am I the last person that doesn't use a flasher?

12/2/19 @ 12:58 PM
ORIGNAL POST
TheWhipGuy
User since 2/13/10

In the past few years, I can't remember seeing a person or a group of guys that didn't use flashers.  You see the occasional kid or friend/girlfriend that got dragged along not using one, but everybody with with the ice gear has a flasher.  I heard of guys who forgot their flasher or battery and just turn around and don't go.  I read on here many many times that guys won't fish without one.  I'm not picking a fight, but really just wan't to know if anybody feels like it ruins the fun of it as it does for me.  I fish mostly 12-14' feet of water or less for panfish, but occasionally 18-20' for panfish or walleye.  I don't fish deep water mid-lake basins for suspended crappies.

I stare a computer screen all day, I don't want to stare at a flasher.  It is one more thing to carry out onto the ice.  One more thing to get tangled in the fishing line.  The absolute best thing for me, when ice fishing, is doing the perfect drop or rise with the 1/128th jig and plastic and getting a hit out of nowhere.  Always being ready for the strike and the surprise of it is thrilling.  Just like casting from a boat, that strike is a blast.  A long time ago, before flashers, we used to look down the hole in 6' of water and sight fish. I didn't like that either.  I found that I could catch more fish by not looking down the hole and just concentrating on the perfect presentation.  I see so many guys drop their flasher in, see some gills 1' off the bottom.  rig up a heavy jig or jigging spoon, with 4 waxies or spikes and drop it down to them and then jiggle the heck out of it, and then get frustrated when they don't bite.  Sure there are days when the aggressive presentation is going to work, but they are few and far between in the dead of winter.

Guys tell me flashers can serve two functions. First finding the fish and fish depth and next "working" the fish.  I'm confident in my presentations and "working" the fish because I've caught 10,000+ panfish with it over the years.  And with a light presentations that sinks like food (3-4" per second drop),  you find the suspended fish on the drop.

So, is there anybody else that retired their flasher because they simply prefer to fish without one?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 1:01 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

I have had one since 1981,and always take one with me.Many trips I never used it,but it's there if needed.The contraption I put together in 1981 probably weighs more than the best Panoptix set-up.But I found a lot of fish in areas no one was at.It helped me find those suspended perch on Mendota,plus the bonus crappies.

12/5/19 @ 5:05 PM
Fonzie
User since 1/4/09

I'm just a casual ice fisherman and am no expert for sure...

But, here's a pic of suspended crappie coming thru in 10 fow. They only appeared for a couple minutes. I caught two of them and I'm confident I would have caught ZERO without my graph.

If you're in 10 fow +, the ability to see suspended fish is even more pronounced and important IMO.

12/5/19 @ 4:51 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

A few years ago, in mid December, while I was getting my truck to go go back and get my gear (no snow on the ground,  didnt want to wreck my sled dragging it on asphalt) some a-hole stole my Showdown.  

Had the week off work and wanted to fish every day during the perfect conditions,  3-5 inches of ice, first ice, fish really active. So I just used my hand held GPS,  fished good spots from years past. Did good all week, so I never did buy another Showdown that winter.  Most days I'd go to a good gps spot and drill less than 10 holes, catch fish all day. A few times I just drilled 2 holes and sat in one spot 4 to 6 hrs, catching one fish after another.  Didnt miss the sonar much at all

Now that would not be the case if I wasn't using the gps to set up on good spots every time. But didnt need the sonar to catch fish. As others said below, I just concentrated on my rod tip and fished the whole water column top to bottom. Required non stop concentration,  because you dont have a screen telling you if there's a fish down there or not. Had fun doing it, personally. 

Next winter I did buy another Showdown.  I could just fish the rest of my life using old gps coordinates,  but that gets a bit boring.  I like to try new lakes or areas of big lakes I've never fished before,  exploring can be a welcome change and even a bit of an adventure.  Going to a new lake/area I do use a lake map, but often drill 60 to 120 hole searching for really good spots. I can check all those holes much faster with sonar and just fish big concentrations of fish, which in turn becomes a new waypoint for future use.

So I do it both ways, sonar and no sonar, depending on how firmiliar I am with that particular body of water.

12/5/19 @ 2:40 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Not that I don't use a flasher, but it's all in your personal preferences. When fishing shallow weed flats for pan fish I usually don't spend a lot of time at any one hole. If there they bite right away or not at all, time to move on.  For mobility and ease of drilling  I use a 5" auger on a power drill and would rather stare at a spring then a screen. Besides I hate it when the gills get all tangled up in the cords. Being retired I can usually pick bluebird days which makes the 5" holes not a problem.

12/5/19 @ 11:37 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Hook is what you would call a “man’s man”!  I heard he doesn’t even use fire to cook his meat because that would be cheating!! Look out Chuck Norris!   

12/5/19 @ 8:09 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I get for many money's tight, and it's hard to spend a lot of technology for hunting and fishing.  It took me a while to justify buying my flasher.  But to say people who use them or treestands etc. are not hunters or fisherman is silly.  It reeks of justifying the way they fish by tearing down others.  You don't need to justify  it.  Hunt or fish like you like.  I like my flasher.  

12/5/19 @ 6:59 AM
AWichman
AWichman
User since 1/6/16

Do not use any electronics for ice fishing. Same goes for deer hunting. No tree stand, no food plot, no feeding the deer.  Those people who have to use the latter for success are not HUNTERS or FISHERMAN. 

Hook,

I'm going to assume that either you are trolling or just full of it. When you hunt do you use a high powered rifle? Or even a fancy compound bow? Both of which give you a tremendous advantage over your prey. To say that those who use technology or even a tree stand for Christ's sake are not sportsman is about as ignorant a statement as I've ever seen on here, and I've seen a lot. 

12/4/19 @ 4:16 PM
gram
User since 11/11/14

We live in a fast paced world. Not many who care to slow down and just enjoy the basics. Most of my poles are homemade. I too would rather slow down and so called smell the roses.

12/4/19 @ 4:13 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

fishing 30 holes a day is not much, with a flasher you could easily double that number with same efficiency.  That is my point...it does not slow you down if used properly.

There are adjustments that need to be made in order to see your jig in weeds.  Most people like a wide cone in shallow water, but you need to go to tightest cone when in weeds.   Turn Gain down or use low power mode.  My FL22 they discontinued was specifically designed to excel in this application and why i got it, going to be sad when it dies. Usually your jig and fish are easy to see because they move.....

12/4/19 @ 3:15 PM
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

I could see not using one if you fished a bad weedy area with dirty water, like Onalaska or other places. Or if I had a long drag out every time. I have 2 flashers, if I take 2 newbies I don't use one.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 28 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.