SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Adapter between drill and lazer hand auger

2/17/20 @ 9:39 AM
INITIAL POST
northernexsposure
User since 3/15/08

For the guys that use the Strikemaster Lazer hand auger with a drill, what adapter do you use?  I have had 2 of them and both have broke after a handfull of holes.  I had an HT and it twisted of after about 10 holes.  Then I got a beaver dam that is super heavy but the part the chuck grabs onto is only held held on by a pin and that sheared off after 80 holes.  I use a 6" auger so I am not turning anything crazy.  I think I will weld the beaver dam back together and forget about the shear pin to get by.  But is there a brand (out of the box) that can handle the torque the drill is putting on it? 

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
3/20/20 @ 12:31 PM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

The very sharp Lazer auger is self feeding, requiring little or no downward pressure to drill holes. I can see how blades requiring pressure to get them to cut would stress out metal connecting drill to auger. The adapter in the pic has a  frisbee I found in the park, and a washer duct taped up as a safety measure. Hope it works.

3/13/20 @ 10:18 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02

I have and had several brands I prefer the ice kicker 1 the ice kicker well take a hand auger with the wing nut bolt threw shaft the ice kicker 1 is threaded and drilled for the old style auger as well as the butterfly bolt I have had the kicker 1 for a number of years fish 3 ta 4 days a week before this year it was 5 or more and I rarely go a day without drilling 20 ta 30 holes they also offer a ice kicker 2 that is geared for bigger holes but will all steel it is rather rough and mine is metal hand holds works well but adds a lot of weight when the crappie bite is hot I use it for a 7 inch hole,but hands down ice kicker 1 is the way ta go......I have drilled my catch bar so I can hang the auger off a bungee ta take the weight off of my drill bearing by pulling it over the drill handle my first adater I made myself around 2001 so have years of use with these things and just ordered a new one week or so ago mine still looks great but has a lot of holes on it.....................so their is a (ice kicker ) and a( ice kicker 1)( kicker 2 is geared) look on e bay

2/20/20 @ 9:00 PM
Ripalip
User since 1/16/15

Been using the Kovac ice master drill adapter for last 2 years and no problems. Been using it on a 8” lazer auger and a clam auger extension.  Hooked up to my Milwaukee M18- fuel drill with 2- 5 amp batteries I have drilled holes till I’m blue in the face and haven’t used up one battery in a day yet.  Smooth , fast and puts a smile on my face every time I have my holes drilled before my buddies with their propane jiffies and Ions.

Note to self.........you have to keep checking the connections or big wing nuts, but it’s no big deal. Just check tightness between holes for safety.  I have no need for a clam plate ......yet.

Slammer!!!

2/20/20 @ 8:38 PM
waterwolves
waterwolves
User since 6/15/01

I have an 8" lazer hand auger and use an aluminum adapter I bought off ebay. Never had a problem with it. I use a Milwaukee fuel with mine. Drilled over a 1000 holes with it. No problems.

2/17/20 @ 11:05 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I will add that i wanted an extension, and the strikemaster power auger extensions dont fit the hand auger bits, but the eskimo extensions fit perfectly

2/17/20 @ 7:54 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

I used a clam plate for one year and then switched to a Kovac Ice Master. I won’t be going back to the plate. 

The Kovac takes up less room, can easily be taken off and put back on a drill....which is handy when you want to use the drill for running in ice anchors...and it has fewer contact points with the drill. It’s just sitting on the chuck....no lever in contact with the drill at all which can be problematic for some drills with the way the plate and the drill line up with one another. 

2/17/20 @ 5:46 PM
Edward Felcohands
User since 2/24/09

I have been using a kovac ice master with my 6” and 8” lazer hand augers with my milwaukee 2804.  The paint coating on the adapter gets chewed up by the chuck but i don't think the metal has been damaged.  Happy with it so far after a few hundred holes

2/17/20 @ 10:52 AM
genek.
User since 8/20/04

I have used the icemaster adapter in the past with good results the chuck jaws do chew up the adapter a little .  I know use the clam drill plate with my coldless drill and would not go back to the adapter. I am using a lazer 7in auger and my sons is using a 8in auger on his clam plate.

2/17/20 @ 10:13 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Northern

Must have really cheapened the steel up!

Have run same ones for years. You may want to get your buddy at stainless shop to make you one from better grade steel. If yours broke welding it will make it brittle.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE