LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ace custom vs ice fishing innovations case

11/15/17 @ 9:26 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Looking to upgrade my hard case to one with the free floating spools. Anyone have any input on the ace custom rods case or the ice fishing innovations deluxe case? I know the innovation case is quite a bit heavier but haven't handled either of them in person.

Any other brands out there make a case with a similar design?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/20/17 @ 4:25 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I just got the Eagle Claw Ice Rod case from sportsmans Guide. They sold out last year and when they popped up this year I was sure to order early. It was still on backorder for a week. But I finally got it. I've already put 5 rods in it and it seems like I am going to like it a lot over my Cabela's 6-rod bag. I could never get 6 rods in that bag. And I don't have to fold the handles to get them to fit.

11/20/17 @ 11:21 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Looks like he'll be at the St. Paul show too, might have to check that out.

11/17/17 @ 6:31 PM
hogdawg69
User since 6/24/09
Ace will be at the Milwaukee ice show

11/17/17 @ 1:02 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

I would not worry about reels swinging into each other.  Worse case you get a little rash similar to open water reels in a rod locker that rubs off some plating, but I would seriously doubt you see any wear, definitely not damage.  

11/17/17 @ 12:31 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'm not sure if you can necessarily fit more combos, but with each one individually positioned in the case it seems like it was more organized and better protection. But you bring up a good point that I haven't thought about, it doesn't look like there is anything preventing the reels from swinging into the one next to it. That's the kind of feedback I'm hoping to get from someone that has one. I've personally never handled one or know anyone with one. It looks like the ace and innovation ones can only be ordered online so I can't even check them out in a store...

11/17/17 @ 12:24 PM
rickwalley
User since 9/15/01

kvandehei33........

If I'm reading you right, the free floating allows you to more easily fit more combos alongside each other?  Would a drawback be that they can therefore also have the reels swinging into each other while in transit?

11/17/17 @ 10:52 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Both the plano and rabill cases don't have the drop down/free-floating reels which is my primary reason for upgrading. I currently have the scheels hard case that I can fit 6 rods in. It's a great case and works just fine, theres just something about the free-floating reel design that I like.

11/16/17 @ 10:06 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I've got two of the Frabil suitcase style cases.  One for panfish and one for Walleye's.  They work for me, I can get 8 rods in each if it is packed.

11/16/17 @ 12:32 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I use the Plano Takedown shotgun case for between $25 and $30. Holds four rods for a day on the ice nicely. I have the Otter rod box for storing all the setups not being used.

Plane Takedown Case

11/16/17 @ 12:32 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I use the Plano Takedown shotgun case for between $25 and $30. Holds four rods for a day on the ice nicely. I have the Otter rod box for storing all the setups not being used.

http://www.planomolding.com/pro-max-takedown-shotgun-case

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 14 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.