MORE
Hot Deals & Discounts

Wireless Tip-Up Light Deal

1/15/18 @ 12:01 PM
INITIAL POST
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01

So our partners at Fleet Farm have a sale going to BlueTipz wireless tip-up lights. They run on a bluetooth low energy and are supposed to reach up to 200 yards.

Anyone ever use these? Would love to hear some feedback before I pull the trigger!

BlueTipz Wireless Tip-Up Light Deal

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
1/22/18 @ 10:46 PM
lipripper4x5
User since 12/3/01

Iv had mine since they came out. I use an iPhone & have had no issues in any weather. Just changed batteries this year. But I usually only put them a couple hundred feet away. Much better than looking out the window all the time

1/22/18 @ 8:56 PM
MAK
MAK
User since 6/16/01

Been using these for 3 seasons now with mixed results.  Customer service has been outstanding, signal was spotty depending on type of phone - ie S7 is better than S8. 

You'll have better luck with repeater, much more consistent, downside is it can't discern between mine and my neighbors like phone app does.

Rain seems to degrade signal more than snow.  Also helps to make sure battery is in good contact with board.  

Overall I am satisfied, not sure I'd purchase anymore.  

1/19/18 @ 10:34 AM
larryallen
PRO MEMBER User since 12/4/02

I have been using wireless Striksensors made in Wisconsin for maybe 20 years.  They work great for me.  Our cottage is 75 feet from shore and my tipups are probably up to 200 feet out in the lake.  With the receiver inside the cottage in a window facing the lake they work great.  They use a 9 volt transistor radio battery and seem to last forever.  When a tipup is triggered you can stop the alarm from the receiver in the house.  Not sure what Bluetooth may have over the Strikesensors unless their range is farther.

1/16/18 @ 10:39 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Good luck Darin, keep us posted!

1/16/18 @ 8:19 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link

Talked to two wardens from MN and WI today and the consensus is 10-15 minutes to attend to a flag before it is considered unattended. As far as the BlueTipz go some love them and some have had problems. I guess the 2017 G4 models have changed a lot for cold weather and distance. I just bought two to try them as I feel when I am in a shack jigging it will hopefully give me peace of mind that I do not have to look out the window every 30 seconds to check the tip-up. I will still look out every ten... but hey I am again a guy who is infatuated with technology! I understand both sides of the argument but I can not see how these will negatively effect my fishing. Just my opinion nothing more nothing less...

1/16/18 @ 12:40 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

The pager system the alarm goes off just in the shack, and can be disarmed in the shack after going up. If you disarm until you reset the tip up the remaining tip ups will be automatically disarmed as well.Strike sensor is the name brand. works great for that nap in the middle of the night, or during a heated cribbage match.

1/16/18 @ 10:36 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

On Big Chetac I know of two individuals who where ticketed by a warden for unattended line after dark.  The warden tripped their flags and gave them 10 minutes, they did not make it and received a ticket.  

1/16/18 @ 6:38 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

I think getting to your tip up in a timely fashion is definately a gray area. probably the discretion of the warden. I know when walleye fishing at night I sometimes wait 5 minutes to go over to the flag. Never had a problem. I once herd that you have 15 min. and it becomes an unattended line. There also is a pager system that is out there based right here in WI. It doesn't use your phone at all and reaches out almost 200yds. if you have a metal permanent you have to drill a hole to the outside for the antenna but they work good. It has a siren that goes off in your shack. This along with Frabil lights at night is the cats Az. I believe the company is over by Sheboygan.

1/15/18 @ 11:56 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Understand the tech side of it as I too am a gadget guy.  My concern lies with staying within the law.  WI law states that your tip ups have to be within sight and monitored.  I get the frosted shack window part of the equation, but if the alarm notification is not 100% dependable, I would argue they serve no value.  If the concern is head down time and not noticing the flag right away, (which I get), then one should never be setting tip ups more than a short distance away from where they are jigging.  Short version, is that the way I see it, is that if one is concerned about not seeing a flag until it may be up for a minute, then if it takes a minute from time noticed to get to a tip up should also be a concern.  I see two parts to the equation.

1/15/18 @ 9:24 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link

No-luck,

I am most interested in using them when I am jigging in my shack and have a couple of tip-ups out. When plastic windows glaze up and also having to constantly keep an eye out while jigging. An immediate alert on a tip-up I think would help land more fish. I also night fish out of a permanent shack and could see these as a plus. Maybe I am just a geek who likes technology but to each his own.

1/15/18 @ 9:17 PM
Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link

Thanks for your response snakestar! I wonder if they changed anything in the last couple of years... just talked to a buddy and they work great to 100 yards out of his flip over shack. I always wondered how Bluetooth would reach that far. Also curious how they would work out of a hard sided shack. Yea I do not want to spend that kind of money for a tip-up light! Reviews that I have read have been mixed with most negative being when they first came out. Might email them to see if anything changed with the units.

1/15/18 @ 9:13 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
I don't understand the usefulness of this item.  It seems like a waste of money to me.  
Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE