LOGIN
Lake-Link

Savage Axis XP .270

4/28/14 @ 9:07 AM
ORIGINAL POST
foosdog
foosdog
User since 12/19/01
what are your thoughts on this rifle? I am on a budget.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/19/14 @ 7:37 PM
.westsidebenny.
User since 10/15/14
.Text"I am not a gun guy. I shoot maybe 5 rounds a year with mife and son shot over 20 rounds through the new rifle last week. Is it imperative that I clean the barrel on this new gun after the first rounds? I wasn't impressed with my groups or the kids groups?? The gun came with a bushnell scope. "

Not trying to be a Delta Bravo here but must wonder what sort of groups a guy that shoots 2 rounds a year at a target could possibly hope for? I shoot more than that just to foul my barrel...and yes, most barrel manufacturers do recommend a break in procedure. Shoot once clean, shoot once clean....shoot 3 times clean, repeat until no signs of copper (using copper solvent of course, hopes 9 won't do it.).

Savages are supposed to be a very accurate rifle..got no dog in that fight but they certainly have a large fan base. Most of the avid fans will quickly admit the stocks feel cheap, the bolt may not be the smoothest; but the accuracy can be pretty amazing...consistently better then rifles that cost way more.

11/16/14 @ 1:06 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
You will hear all kinds of different theories on cleaning the barrel of a new gun. I run a patch through before I shoot it the first time to get any packing grease out of the barrel and then don't clean again until accuracy starts to suffer, usually around 80-100 rounds.

Take the rings off the gun and check that the screws holding the bases on are tight, then make sure the screws on the rings are tight. The only reason the scope is a Bushnell is because ATK owns both Savage and Bushnell, in reality I'm guessing it's the cheapest scope ATK could get a factory in China to make.

5/3/14 @ 1:51 AM
muskrat30
muskrat30
User since 10/14/01
I bet there are a ton of used rifles in classifieds and Armslist you could get for around the price of a new Savage. I'd look for good condition used.

4/28/14 @ 5:29 PM
gunslinger9562
User since 2/18/11
heres my axis its in 243 .250 at 100 yrds

4/28/14 @ 4:56 PM
Dirty Jim
User since 2/25/14
Have a few buddy's with the axis all have problems with the bolt and cracking the stock. There made pretty cheap but I guess u get what u pay for. I got a tc venture in the 22 250. Love it and there fairly cheap!

4/28/14 @ 2:59 PM
Torrent1
User since 4/25/14
I agree... they handle like a brick. Thirty accuracy lives up to savage legend tho that I will say! Look to American or the tc venture.

4/28/14 @ 12:07 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
My honest thought, It's a piece of junk! Take a look at the Ruger American or something like a used M700.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.