Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Savage AP project

11/24/14 @ 2:15 PM
ORIGNAL POST
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
So the local FleetFarm store had an Axis package for $239 with a cheap scope. At that price it was too cheap NOT to buy. I've always wanted a .223 bolt for a range toy. I knew this DIDN'T have the accu-trigger so I ordered a spring kit that was suppose to be 3.5-4#, factory trigger breaks with a GRITTY consistent 6#'s. Decided to do an initial cleaning and pull the action to see what the basic trigger group looked like. Interesting...looked like a cast (?) trigger with a stamped sheet metal sear / bolt release, all containing VISIBLE burrs and roughness. Pulled the pins and cleaned the burrs off and polished with stone and 1000 grit emery. Reassembled, threw a snap cap in, cocked and attached the trigger scale, 2.2#, ?? that can't be right. Tried several times and it repeats right at 2.2#. Held it up to my shoulder and I believe it is 2.2# with a little pre travel (that I'm OK with). Cocked and bounced butt on floor, no NDC. Opened a slammed bolt closed repeatably, no NDC. Interestingly the sear surfaces and pivot points of the trigger were covered in NEVER-SEEZE when I disassembled them.

SAVAGE XP NOT AP

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/16/15 @ 11:48 AM
Jim D
User since 7/11/01
I have a Savage axis also and I love it! I cut 1.5 turns off the spring and it made it much better. The original stock sucks without doing a lot of work so I changed the stock to a laminated thumbhole. Boyd's Gunstocks for $99. Fit perfect! Full free floating barrel all the way to the reciever.

Great coyote gun!

4/26/15 @ 10:14 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
So the Axis stock just got chamber bedding and a paint job. Will reassemble it, get a pic and do some more load development. Where did I end up in cost you ask...OK maybe you didn't. $239 for the rifle/scope after rebate -41 sold 3x9 scope on eBay +109 New Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40AO (on sale) +14 trigger stop and spring +25 stock mods / bedding -35 free magazine Savage sent me. Grand total of $311 for a gun that will shoot sub MOA.

Oops I forgot +20 for new extended scope bases. So $331

4/26/15 @ 9:55 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
Haven't updated this post since my winter mods. Sold the factory scope and rings for $40 and replaced it with a 4x12 Bushnell. Epoxied 2 aluminum arrow sections into the forend to stiffen the stock, bedded the action/chamber area, foam injected the hollow butt stock after adding 4 or 5 ounces of lead shot in a pipe nipple for balance. Found the chamber throat is looong, 68gr Hornady HPBT loaded 2.42" are just short of the rifling. Gun shoots like a dream. First targets at 100 yds 68gr, second target 100yds 75gr, last target 200yds 68gr.

12/6/14 @ 8:02 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
Scope issue FIXED ! Was looking at the rifle last night to make sure the extra set of rings would be tall enough and noticed the movable portion of the ring clamp was asymmetrical, with one V piece < longer and thicker then the other. The lower (longer) piece was hitting on the receiver and barrel and the upper piece (shorter) piece was not nested into the rings. Removed hold down nut and flipped both pieces over. They now clamp firmly to the base and nest into the ring V notch. Took gun to the range, 60 clicks RIGHT and 40 clicks DOWN to get on target. Gun definitely likes heavier bullets with 68gr loads shooting 5 shots into 1.2" Now I just need to develop a load the gun really likes.

Still NO word from Savage though. So much for customer service . Puke

12/1/14 @ 5:39 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
Had it out to the range for a break in. Couldn't hit a 24"x36" target backer at 100yds ?? Found I was shooting 24" right and 6" low.?? Removed scope caps and found L/R adj almost max'd out and the U/D adj all the way UP. This was from the factory? The scope did change with the limited adj I had and held groups with hold off / hold over. Sent Savage an email with no response yet. I'm thinking bad scope rings, bases are tight. I have a GOOD spare set so I'll change them and see. So much for factory sighting Sad

DISPLAYING 1 TO 6 OF 6 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.