Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Leupold vs Vortex scope

9/24/14 @ 1:52 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BadMoonRising
User since 3/29/12
So I'm buying my first rifle it'll be a Browning ABII in a .270 and I'm looking to put a scope on it. Right now i'm torn between the Leupold VX-3 and the Vortex Viper HS. I've heard good things about both. Opinions?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/7/14 @ 9:13 PM
Hammar
Brian Hammarsten
User since 4/5/10
I have heard Vortex has changed their warranty. However they are taking care of my friend so far so either way they seem to be standing behind their product. A friend of mine is working with them since his Vortex is not staying zero'd in.

I have a leupold scope on the same gun my friend has and havent needed any warranty on mine so far.

Roach's Guide Service
(763) 226-6656
10/6/14 @ 3:58 PM
maxracx
maxracx
User since 4/14/02
I have purchased a number of Vortex scopes and love them!!!

10/3/14 @ 9:47 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Middle of deer season I guess I would stop by my local vortex dealer an get a new one, or drive out to Middleton and get it direct. Same as I would imagine one would do with any brand.

10/3/14 @ 9:37 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
I dont believe that leupolds warranty is that extensive. Not bashing Leupold because I have one, but Vortex's warranty is unheard of. I just checked leupolds web site, warranty covers materials and workmanship, does not cover damage or abuse.

10/3/14 @ 9:05 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
Warranties like that are a great way to stifle development. They come out with some new advancment in the line and you take your scope and hit it with a hammer, send it in and get a new one. High end fly rods used to have warranties like that until people were breaking them on purpose because they came out with a new color blank or something else small.

The best warranty is the one you never use. Even $50 POS scopes have lifetime warranties but what good does a warranty do you in the middle of deer season? Sure in 6 to 8 weeks you will have a new scope but that doesn't do you any good now.

10/3/14 @ 6:05 PM
Pike River Outfitters
User since 5/3/08
And Leupold's warranty ?

10/3/14 @ 8:32 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07
I'm thinking what he meant about the warranty was; Vortex has an absolute no questions asked warranty. Drop it drive over it etc, they fix it or replace it. Only things not covered are theft and loss.

9/28/14 @ 5:40 AM
Pike River Outfitters
User since 5/3/08
Gunslinger , please explain ?

"vortex has the better lifetime warranty"

9/27/14 @ 8:30 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
You really need to look through both scopes side by side to see what your eyes like the best.

Warranties are virtually equal on each but it all boils down to which scope gives you the best picture.

Before you drop the $$$ on either brand, you owe it to yourself to look through each one. Don't go by an informal internet poll.

Tim

P.S. Don't overlook Nikon either.

9/27/14 @ 7:53 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
VORTEX IS NOT MADE IN WISCONSIN!!! I hear that all the time, if they were they would be over $2,000. The companies headquaters is in Wisconsin but the scopes are made by various manufactures throughout Asia and labeled with the Vortex name.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 17 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.