MORE
Guns & Shooting

Gun safe = rusty guns?

7/13/16 @ 12:33 PM
INITIAL POST
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Due to an impending relocation I'm feeling the need to buy a gun safe. There are going to be periods of time when I'm not in proximity to my firearms on a daily basis.

I guess I should be "ashamed" that my guns are just stashed in the closet, like my Dad always did when I was a kid. But I have no children at home and have few visitors. My guns are lovingly well cared for, oiled and each in a soft case. They're "real nice guns" anybody would be thrilled to own.

I've read that there are condensation and rusting problems with guns kept in a gun safe. Has anybody ever experienced this? Can you just toss a dessicant pack in there with your guns? Open the door every once in a while to air things out?

Do you have to bolt the gun safe to the wall or floor or is it heavy enough to prevent theft entirely because of the weight?

I only have 4 shotguns, 4 rifles and 2 handguns.

Your thoughts please.

RR 

Displaying 21 to 27 of 27 posts
7/15/16 @ 3:30 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

• Bolt the gun safe to the floor.
  • Keep a light coat of oil on the firearms and they'll be fine.
  • Purchase a small gun safe heater if required.

I only ever had rusting problems with one gun in my whole life and it was a Remington semi-auto 20 gauge. Can't remember the model or series. No matter, never liked that gun anyway; traded it in on a 20 gauge pump action.

Thanks again.

7/13/16 @ 7:38 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10

I think you have it mixed up, soft cases keep condensation in and can cause rust on your guns.  In a safe you can use the moisture eating packets or put in a little "heater"  I use a product called Golden Rod which is a aluminum tube about 1" X 18" that plugs in and keeps the save just warm enough to keep the moisture out.  You still need to keep them well oiled though.

7/13/16 @ 2:33 PM
whatup
User since 12/9/01

Your soft cases are more likely to rust your guns than a, cabinet 

7/13/16 @ 2:23 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Definitely bolt it down if you can move it easily.  There's been a lot of break-ins in rural central Wisconsin lately.

7/13/16 @ 1:31 PM
Bronco Boy
PRO MEMBER User since 2/27/14
Definitely should bolt it down. An acquaintance had his entire safe stolen. It wasn't bolted down.
Displaying 21 to 27 of 27 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE