LOGIN
Lake-Link

Gun safe = rusty guns?

7/13/16 @ 12:33 PM
ORIGNAL POST
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Due to an impending relocation I'm feeling the need to buy a gun safe. There are going to be periods of time when I'm not in proximity to my firearms on a daily basis.

I guess I should be "ashamed" that my guns are just stashed in the closet, like my Dad always did when I was a kid. But I have no children at home and have few visitors. My guns are lovingly well cared for, oiled and each in a soft case. They're "real nice guns" anybody would be thrilled to own.

I've read that there are condensation and rusting problems with guns kept in a gun safe. Has anybody ever experienced this? Can you just toss a dessicant pack in there with your guns? Open the door every once in a while to air things out?

Do you have to bolt the gun safe to the wall or floor or is it heavy enough to prevent theft entirely because of the weight?

I only have 4 shotguns, 4 rifles and 2 handguns.

Your thoughts please.

RR 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/28/16 @ 2:49 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Well, FWIW, I did buy a gun safe and bolt it to the floor, and crammed all of my guns in there. My insurance guy says the guns are insured for $5000.00 under my conventional homeowners insurance, and I guess I'm OK with that. I did take pictures of all of them and record the serial numbers, and submitted that all to the insurance company.

It was a battle, wrassling that 400 pound gun safe into my house by myself. Then of course it didn't really fit where I had intended, so it is now a fixture in my living room.

I don't believe I have any TREMENDOUS sentimental attachment to the guns, would simply PREFER some dirty SOB not be out there enjoying my Dad's Winchester Model 94 lever-action 32 Winchester Special.

If you're man enough to wrassle that gun safe (packed with guns) out of my house, without any of my neighbors seeing you, and can get it open with a torch, I guess you are welcome to my guns. I'll take that $5000.00 check and go buy some new ones.

Except for that one I keep in my truck, that I'm fixin' to use if I see you wrassling that 400 pound gun safe out of my house.

11/26/16 @ 10:15 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

It also depends  on  your  basement  . My old house had a damp basement.  No rusted firearms  , but a leather  sling started to mildew  . I have lived in my present  home for 21 years with no problems  . Heat in the  winter  and AC when  humidity  is high in summer  keeps  the air dry so no rust .

11/26/16 @ 5:35 PM
Badwolf
User since 6/13/07

As long as you dry out/warm up your guns before putting them in the safe you should be fine as far as rust.  But when the come in from the cold they should be opened up and dried/warmed even if you don't put them in a safe.  This includes loosening the choke tubes until they warm up.  If you put them in cold you will get condensation and put all weapons at slightly greater risk for rust.  I am of course assuming that you don't plan to put the safe in the basement.

11/26/16 @ 10:39 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I agree beanbag, but LL is not facebook...

With the exception of a very few on here, no one knows where Plmlk lives, and the ones that do have been over to my house a number of times and are close friends. 

It is a little different than social media platforms like LinkedIn or Facebook where people know exactly who you are.  For the most part, you are anonymous on Lake-Link. 

I have no idea who you are beanbag, what you do, or anything outside of what you have posted on here over the years. Try a google search on beanbag or Plmlk and see if you come up with an address. 

If the platform was similar to facebook and folks knew who the poster was,  I doubt threads like "what gun did you buy" would get much action. 

Also, look at some of the nasty comments that goes back on some forums i.e. Archery, Campfire Thread etc.  If everyone knew who everyone was, many things would not get said...

I understand and agree with your point though...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/26/16 @ 10:15 AM
beanbag
User since 12/17/09

Another way to protect your guns is to NOT tell everyone on social media how many guns you have and where you store them in your home. oh ya ...and then later tell everyone how excited you are to be going on vacation.

11/26/16 @ 9:26 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Whatup-

Most of them came from my father and grandfather, they are quite sentimental to me. That is why they are on display - I get to see them everyday. 

I agree they would be safer tucked away in a safe, but I really enjoy having them as display pieces. 

Think about other things that may be sentimental to someone, a trophy buck mount, a restored car, antiques passed on from one generation to another- most of those items are not locked away in a safe either - its just not practical. I feel the same way about the firearms that were passed onto me from my dad / grandpa. 

Also, with the exception of 3, all of our firearms are still in use, and returned to the wall when the hunting trip is over.  Really neat to think that my Grandpa was in tree in the 30's and 40's with the same gun in his hand that my son used last week.   

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/26/16 @ 3:37 AM
whatup
User since 12/9/01

Are any of your guns sentimental? Can't replace that!

11/25/16 @ 10:35 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Come to think of it, when I contacted my insurance company to insure my firearms, they did not ask me whether I stored my firearms in a safe or not.  From that I guess you could assume that the price is the same whether you have a safe, or keep your guns in the closet.

Based on that, in my situation a safe would not add much value.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/25/16 @ 9:37 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I agree Old Salt. 

On my homeowners policy, if the total value of all guns exceeds $3K it is considered a "collection" and requires a rider. 

I have 16 guns listed on my policy (including a Winchester Yellow Boy) and the cost is less than $100 per year. 

None of the guns in my house are locked in a safe, rather on display in my basement / mancave. 

At any rate, whether my firearms are in a safe or not I would have them insured - so I don't see any reason to pay for a safe. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
11/25/16 @ 7:51 PM
Old Salt
Old Salt
User since 8/14/02

Okay. Go ahead and spend a ton of dough on a huge safe weighing several hundred pounds which has to become a permanent fixture wherever you install it to store 8 long guns and two handguns. If each gun is worth as much as $5,000 each, you might start saving money in  40 or 50 years. As long as nobody steals them from your safe during that time.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 27 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.