Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Ear muffs or ear plugs

4/17/15 @ 9:11 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Musky99
User since 8/8/11
I am going to be in a trap league this summer and need hearing protection.

I have always used the soft foam plugs when shooting trap or sighting in the deer rifle.

Now that i will be in trap league i was thinking about a set of ear muffs.

What are pros and cons of either?

Thanks.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/3/15 @ 7:02 AM
JimLi
User since 12/20/11
I found very good U.S.Government, rubber plugs on line and like them a lot. They are as good as muffs and more comfortable. I think I got 4 sets in carrying cases for under $10.00. They will last for ever also.

4/22/15 @ 6:14 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Maybe I'm just being anal, but I wear BOTH when I'm at the range or on my personal shooting lane.

It's been too many years of loud music, gunfire, chainsaws, and assorted other ear-splitting devices and now at age 57, my hearing is shot!

So now when I'm practicing, I put in disposable earplugs and then put ear-muffs over the top. But then again, I want to protect what hearing I have left....

Formerly Steve @ G & S

4/22/15 @ 6:10 PM
Steve @ G & S
MEMBER since 6/15/01
I guess I'm anal. After years of shooting, loud music, chainsaws and other assorted noisy devices, I've decided that I'll shoot with BOTH!

4/21/15 @ 2:26 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01
I use both - depending on the situation, but shoot better with just plugs. I have been working with my 10 year old son, and was doing some pattering with his 20 ga. With plugs he was right on. Put muffs on, and he shot to the right. He will be a plug guy.

Pattern your guy - and if no difference, shoot with which one you like.

4/18/15 @ 3:14 PM
adam k
User since 12/15/10
I wear ear plugs for everything. I have a big head and never found muffs to fit well. I am also in summer and winter trap leagues and wear plugs for that.

4/17/15 @ 8:44 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02
For trapshooting I use plugs so my head stays down in sight line . For a rifle or handgun where your head is up or hands out earmuffs or both if is a large , loud weapon . I just use the throwaway plugs , still better than the cotton balls we used 40 some years ago .

4/17/15 @ 7:27 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11
If you can wear muffs comfortably without them interfering with your set-up/sight picture, go for it.

Otherwise the throw away types are quite good. If you don't correctly insert them in your ears at first, they're pretty much worthless. Best of all is to get custom fit earplugs. They'll run you about $50, depending on where you get them.

It all depends on how you want to treat the two ears you are gifted in life. To me $$$ is not an issue to protect my hearing. I have custom fit plugs.

Tim

6/24/15 @ 4:47 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06
I have used cheap foam plugs for almost 35 years at work and for shooting. They have a high level if noise reduction and are comfortable. If I am sighting in at the range, anything bigger than a.22, I plug and muff. Muffs are better at covering your entire ear and preventing sound from resonating into the ear canal through the skull. I just bought a pair of electronic muffs, I don't think they provide enough protection for target shooting, but will be better than nothing while waterfowl and dove hunting......

4/17/15 @ 4:36 PM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04
Regular muffs work for me. When my buddy sights in his bigger guns he uses both at once. It's not the one time you forget hearing protection that ruins your hearing. It's the day after day damage that wrecks your hearing. Or...... you can be like the older guys in my club that never used hearing protection and now have very expensive hearing aids. They leave them in but turn them off to shoot. The best "in ear" protection I've found are the "sand bag" type on a spring bar made of metal. Some foam buds work better than others if you're going the cheap route. The last muffs I bought cost 24 dollars and they work great for both work and play.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.