Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Where's the ammo

2/2/13 @ 1:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
marinerman
USER SINCE 6/27/01
Not sure who posted the first thread with just a title but... where is the ammo? If you find a supply and want to share where post below.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 695 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

11/13/21 @ 10:55 AM
larryallen
USER SINCE 12/4/02

Was at McMiller shooting range in Eagle this morning and in the club house they had a bunch of different shotgun and rifle ammo.  Most trap load 12 gauge about $10 a box.  410 were $15 a box.  Different rifle calibers including 25-06, .17 and 22 caliber.  Bunch of other stuff I don't remember.  A million guys there sighting in their deer rifles.

11/11/21 @ 8:45 PM
kaptainkirk_24
USER SINCE 6/21/07

I was at Witt's Ace Hardware in Crivitz today. They had a good selection of 30-06, .270, and .308.  Limit of one box per day. 

11/9/21 @ 5:24 PM
Pickled Northern Pike
USER SINCE 10/19/21

Stopped at Cabelas & West side Fleet Farm in Green Bay today to checkout the hunting ammo supplies.    Saw zero ; 30-30 , 270 , 30-06 , 7MM Rem Mag on the shelves.

11/5/21 @ 5:35 PM
panks
USER SINCE 10/22/08

Are Walmart had four packs of trap loads today. Since biden's inauguration, price has gone up $8 per 4 pack.

11/2/21 @ 3:04 PM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

My wife's grandpa used to reload but I don't. I have a box of 250 Hornady V-Max .224 diameter 40 gr bullets available if anyone needs them for their own reloading purposes. Appleton area. PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. 

11/2/21 @ 12:01 PM
oldhunter
USER SINCE 2/28/13

Was at the Reel Shot in Appleton yesterday.  They surprisingly had a quite a bit of ammo on shelves. I didn't look to closely, but lot of 9mm and such.  Also noticed three pallets of shotgun shells  by the case, Believe they may have been trap loads.  

11/1/21 @ 6:09 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
USER SINCE 12/7/05

I hadn't heard about that plant, but that's great to hear! Yeah, I have yet to understand the 17 HMR craze myself. A .177 bullet moving at Mach Jesus that explodes on impact...it's neither a good hunting round if you plan on eating your quarry nor a good target round due to the small bullet that has a ton of wind drift. And it isn't a cheap round to shoot? At least the 22 WMR has a heavy enough bullet to do some damage, but even that isn't leaps and bounds better than a 22LR...

10/31/21 @ 3:33 AM
Deerlake1
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Looking for trap loads for high school trap team in Wisconsin for next spring.We bought Direct from a manufacturer last year that let high schools buy direct,  but people misused the program (sold cases to others)  and they may not have the program this winter. Can't say I blame them. Someone always screws up a good thing.

10/30/21 @ 7:41 PM
river_chaser
USER SINCE 10/3/12

MPiker Now that you mention it AMMO is building a new plant in Manitowoc to open next summer

Have to agree. All the botique calibers seem sensless and are a retooling expense that contribute to the shortage.
It was quite the stroke of marketing genius that gun makers recently came out with 17 caliber guns during a shortage of .22 ammo.  

10/30/21 @ 6:59 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
USER SINCE 12/7/05

While I don't disagree that hunters make up a significant chunk of 2A supporters, I think at the end of the day, you have to maintain law and order and protect our shores before you make sure recreational shooters and hunters have everything they want. The problem is that hunters and recreational shooters require endless calibers and shotshell loads for their respective sports. Think of how many off-the-wall calibers there are that guys hunt deer with. All of those calibers require a plant to be re-tooled to do a run of ammo in that caliber. Does it suck? Absolutely. Is it permanent? I don't think so...The guys that will really be hurting are the ones shooting non-mainstream cartridges...257 Roberts, any of the WSM calibers, etc. Those using a .243 Win, .308 Win, .270 Win, .30-06, .30-30, etc. will probably be able to find something to use. It may not be their normal flavor, but it will get you in the field.

I think manufacturers will have no choice but to start up additional facilities in the near future with all the new gun owners. It is a HUGE risk tho given the political climate and all the talks of banning this and restricting that...Most people in my family deer hunt with the same two caliber rifles...either a .30-06 SPRG or .270 WIN. Times like these that comes in handy if someone is unable to find ammo. Someone else in the family can just step up and get them what they need. It may not be what they normally use, but I'm not going to sit back and watch my dad or brother miss rifle season because they can't find a box of ammo! As others have said, when things come back in stock and they lift all the limits on how many boxes you can buy, you don't have to go crazy, but buy 4-5 boxes so you have a couple year supply. The manufacturers are running plants 24/7 trying to keep up, but when you think of how many rifle calibers there are to produce, it is not shocking to me that they aren't able to keep up. And when that happens, they are going to do their best to keep as many customers happy as possible, which means those popular, time-tested calibers are going to be the focus.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 695 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
An ice rod built as tough as the frozen winter landscape of the ice belt. A new platform for St. Croix, the Tundra series is a culmination of ice centric features demanded by hardwater anglers. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - St. Croix Tundra Ice Rods
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.