Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stimulus money firearms

4/1/20 @ 9:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Who's going to spend some or all of your money on a firearm ?  Tell us what you’d like ,   American  made of course   !  I was thinking of a Henry  .22 .

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 45 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/13/20 @ 7:08 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

The big question is how much will you shoot it? How many rounds will you burn in a range session? 20, 50,100? How often will you hit the range with it? Weekly, monthly, or once or twice a year?  7.62/.308 is the more logical choice if you already have the caliber. 30-06 ammo is available in bulk too, but at greater cost. But if your not gonna put a significant amount of lead downrange of either caliber that will really put a dent in your wallet, get what you want. 

4/13/20 @ 1:25 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Looking for advise on caliber. CMP has service grade rifles in 7.62 available. They also have some special rack grade rifles in 30-06. Which one and why?

I currently have two deer rifles in .308 as well as an AR-10 in 7.62/.308 so it would make sense to go that route for bulk ammo purchases. But I’ve never owned a 30-06. I gotta believe that ammo would be pricey.

4/13/20 @ 1:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I know that my pop did his Basic at Leavenworth in KS. I thought that he said that he was stationed there for most of his time in the Army but he may have been transferred at some point. I’m pretty sure that it was no where near the Pacific NW. It was down south somewhere.

4/7/20 @ 9:44 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
User since 11/11/15

Maybe our dads served together, BT.  My old man was in Tacoma, WA -Fort Lewis- waiting on the tarmac to board a plane bound for Miami and then, presumably, to Cuba.  That final order never came, obviously 

4/5/20 @ 7:20 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My pop carried an M1 during his service to our country. That was between Korea and Nam. He was ready to deploy during the Cuban Missile Crisis before they were ordered to stand down. He said the M1 was the most solid rifle he ever fired. Can’t wait to have him fire it.

4/5/20 @ 2:17 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

The M14 and M1 were a heavy gun. I think it reduces recoil and you can go for your next shot quicker. IMO

4/4/20 @ 4:43 PM
stealthh20
User since 2/18/09

I've got plenty of guns, plus I can only use one at a time.. so i think I'm going to use the money for what it is truly intended, I'll probably use all of it to support small businesses that have been hit the hardest. Independents, farm stands, businesses forced to close,etc.. the most important thing Americans can do after this is over is to help the local economies. Gun and alcohol sales are stronger than ever. I want to know my country will be strong when this ends.

4/4/20 @ 1:06 PM
cajunmusky
User since 8/22/05

BT-

Plus one more for the M1.  You can shop around and wait for Springfield to do a gear up promo, I got a loaded version with wood/SS, came with custom case, 2 cleaning kits, 2x 5rd mags, and I added 3x 10 rd, 3x 20rd, leather sling, 1-3x Vortex, scope mount, and I was all in for less than 1500.  In retrospect, I would have skipped the glass, the scope mount makes it almost mandatory to add a high-rise cheek piece to the stock to make it worthwhile.

The weapon is unbelievable solid, reportedly good out to 400yds, but my old eyes are only good to 200-250.  The only mild negatives I could come up with is the weight of the rifle and the cost of ammo- bulk 762 still runs at .75c/rd, storebought 150 grain will be about 1$ a round- I have been spoiled by years of free unlimited ammo, so I only take out the M1 as a treat to myself, like a good scotch or a good steak- not an everyday thing, but something to savor when you have earned it.

Also I would love to try the SOCOM version in poly, but know in my heart that if I got a chance to shoot one, it would end up costing me 1700$ or so.

4/3/20 @ 3:43 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

Bugle- you should buy one. No collection is complete without that. I’ve shot mine a handful of times and it is an incredible piece of history. 

I’ve always wanted to make a display to put over my bar with my Mauser 98K crossed with a Garand (Garand on top). Kind of making a statement with the rifle that saved the world and the rifle that almost destroyed it. 

4/2/20 @ 5:30 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Yea Bugle, that’s also on my list. I had fully auto M-14’s, and Semi’s In military. Basically the same gun. I like the fully tactical ones they sell. Love that gun! 

DISPLAYING 31 TO 40 OF 45 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.