Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stimulus money firearms

4/1/20 @ 9:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Who's going to spend some or all of your money on a firearm ?  Tell us what you’d like ,   American  made of course   !  I was thinking of a Henry  .22 .

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 48 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/13/20 @ 1:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I got the final piece of the puzzle needed to order my Garand. My membership packet to the Garand Collectors Association arrived in the mail. A membership in that sort of association is required by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I will be ordering in the next couple of days but don't expect to see the rifle for a while. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Edit: I went to order my rifle this afternoon and found that CMP is sold out of all M1's except for the Springfield/H&R Field Grade rifles. Kinda torn on whether or not to wait for Service Grades to become available. I do like that the Fields have a more vintage looking stock but the pitting/rusting on the metal may be worse than the Service Grades. But why wouldn't one expect to have dings, scratches and "patina" on an 80 year old battle rifle. The Field Grades are well within military specs on the barrel and I don't plan to be shooting out over 100 yds.

If anyone has owned/shot/handled M1's and has advice on whether I should hold out for a Service Grade or just go with the Field, I'd appreciate it.

6/7/20 @ 9:45 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Here’s what I bought with it.

6/3/20 @ 12:15 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I can’t wait to hear about it Bugle. 

6/2/20 @ 6:19 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Slooowww process on getting my M1G. I renewed my CCW and sent in my membership app to the MGA to fulfill the requirements. As soon as I get my membership card from MGA, I'll be placing my order. I heard that they are a few months behind so hopefully I get it by fall. Don't plan to hunt with it but hope to shoot it a few times before the grips of winter set in. 

5/18/20 @ 3:44 PM
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

I read an article on Marlins 336c in 30-30 . Instead of walnut the wood is curly maple . Looks real sharp . Looked them up on gun broker  , and there were two of them for about thousand . Considering the regular ones are about 400 , guess I won't be getting one .

4/24/20 @ 10:38 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Big Mac, This is a Leupold VX-1 (3 X 9 X 40mm). I don’t use it for long range. 100 yds is about all I’d go on this one.
Take a look at the Leupold VX-3i (3.5 X 10 X 40mm) and the 50mm of the same model. Read the reviews. Then take a look at the other scopes in the same class, and read everything about them. Top 5  rifle scopes under $500. You‘LL see the Leupold, but take a good look at the other 4. I would never say they aren’t as good as good as the Leupold. I said I had a soft spot for them. Do your due diligence and read about all 5 including reviews. Something will click in your mind about 1 or 2 of them. I don’t know if you’d be satisfied with a 2 X 7 after the fact @ 100yds. I may be wrong.

4/23/20 @ 9:01 PM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Honestly I don't see any reason,  that I can't get a top quality scope for $400 & under price range.

I don't think I need any more power than 2 x 7. I have MORE concern with the kick/force.

Am I wrong!?

Big Mac 

4/23/20 @ 7:39 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

You can spend $2000+ on a Leupold if you want. But you don’t have too to have a professional grade scope. Paddle Power knows too

4/23/20 @ 6:47 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

Big Mac

I agree with Snakester, need your intended use for better suggestions. Do you prefer lower or higher magnification? Also what is your budget?

I'll throw out one suggestion, Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x20. I'm a Leupold fan as the tend to be on the lighter side of the weight scale. 

If you got deep pockets Khales then Swarovski.

Edit: just realized you included bear hunting. I would definitely stay towards the lower magnification side then. Something with a 1x or 1.5x on the low end of the magnification range. 

4/23/20 @ 6:44 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Also, what kind of money are you looking at? There is good scopes in all price ranges. It’s hard for me to chime in without knowing. I should have included that in my last post. My favorite has always been Leupold. They have scopes in every price range, but for what your looking at, you might want something that’s good for a little longer range than 100yds. Bigger is always better for what you’re talking about. I can chime in with a couple recommendations after I know what you want to spend.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 48 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.