SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Stimulus money firearms

4/1/20 @ 9:18 PM
INITIAL POST
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Who's going to spend some or all of your money on a firearm ?  Tell us what you’d like ,   American  made of course   !  I was thinking of a Henry  .22 .

Displaying 1 to 15 of 66 posts
10/3/20 @ 11:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Thanks Bass,

I was happy to get one with reproduction wood so I could finish it as I wanted. Service and Field Grade M1's from the CMP don't have matching parts so it's not like they'll ever be worth anywhere near what a Collector's Grade would be worth. So I don't believe that it not having a vintage stock affects it's value.

10/2/20 @ 4:40 PM
bass423
PRO MEMBER User since 3/1/12

BugleTrout,

Very nice restoration effort, looks better than brand new out of the wooden box!

10/2/20 @ 3:00 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Mine's a Chinese-made SKS. It's not bad from an accuracy standpoint. But I never sighted it in for 100 yards. Only 50 since it has open sights. I killed a few deer with that rifle when I was in college. 

10/2/20 @ 1:37 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I had a paratrooper  SKS  . Reliable but junk could not hit anything  . K31 was accurate but it's a 5 shot bolt .

10/2/20 @ 9:03 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

SKS's are like that as well. They could be had for around $100 back in the 80's. You can't touch one now for under $500. And the Yugoslavian versions go for far more than that. I'm glad the old man picked one up when they were cheap. 

10/1/20 @ 9:47 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I stopped at a small gun shop today , hoping to get lucky . Didn't buy anything but I saw they had a Schmidt  Rubin K31. A straight pull bolt action that was Switzerlands rifle until they went to autos . Years back I bought 2 for 89.00 each . This one had a sling . They wanted 600 !!  Now I wish I had the money back then to buy 10 .

9/22/20 @ 5:24 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Thanks Snake. I am very happy with the finish of the wood. Not too shiny so it looks a little used. 

I think I'm good on guns for the moment. If we would get another stimulus check, I'm thinking M14.

9/22/20 @ 2:51 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My project is finished. I ended up putting 5 coats of tung oil on the wood and then lightly buffed it with 0000 steel wool to dull the shiny finish a bit. I think it turned out great. I was able to bring it up north with me this past weekend and show my dad who carried one during his service in the Army. He said that it was pretty cool to hold one after all of these years. 

Now I just have to be patient until my backordered box of M2 Ball ammo arrives.

9/14/20 @ 5:05 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

First coat of tung oil. Two coats are recommended. More coats are ok but will get glossier with each coat. I did an after-market electric guitar neck with this stuff a few years ago and applied the whole bottle over the course of a month. It has a glass-like finish and I don’t want that for this project. I want it to look a little on the rough side. I will likely stop at 2 coats. Three at the most. 

And yes, that’s Frogg Tape over a couple of the metal bands. I was worried about damaging the wood removing the one on the forward hand guard and didn’t want to spend the $30 for the tool to remove the one on the rear guard since I would likely only use it one time. The beauty of tung oil it that you can touch up the finish at any time so should I find myself with nothing better to do with my money, I can always stip the rifle back down and refinish it again down the line. 

9/13/20 @ 8:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Finally got it stripped down to where I can finish the new wood. Lots of patience, penetrating oil and rubber malleting but I can apply tung oil tomorrow.

9/9/20 @ 1:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The receiver is a Springfield Armory manufactured in March 1941. But there are parts from Harrington and Richardson on the rifle as well. I still haven't figured out the barrel manufacturer. I think it's a Springfield as well. Either way it has throat and muzzle ratings of 3 or less. The stock is a reproduction. I was torn between whether I wanted a worn, used stock or a new Walnut. The new one will look like a million when I tung oil it. 

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

9/9/20 @ 1:45 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

It arrived! I've been near my computer since last evening when I got notification that it shipped. I watched the Fed Ex Tracker like I was a kid watching NORAD track Santa on Xmas Eve.

8/11/20 @ 3:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Pressure levels. Modern cartridges are too hot for the design. You can damage the mechanism or worse, blow it up. 

There are some good YouTube videos on the subject. 

8/11/20 @ 3:22 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Bugle trout..you mentioned the m1 was not designed to shoot modern 30 06.  I am curious what is the issue?  Is it pressure levels, cartridge design, head spacing, bullet weight or shape?  

8/11/20 @ 8:55 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My application was sent to CMP for my M1. I'm sure it will be a month or two before I receive the rifle. Hopefully I can find a source for M2 Ball 30.06 by then. Everyone is sold out. The M1's were not designed to shoot modern 30.06.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 66 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE