Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Stimulus money firearms

4/1/20 @ 9:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Who's going to spend some or all of your money on a firearm ?  Tell us what you’d like ,   American  made of course   !  I was thinking of a Henry  .22 .

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/16/20 @ 2:51 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I may end up getting a new Springfield M1 at that pace. Around $1700/1800. We will see. I wouldn’t have to join any bodies club.

6/15/20 @ 6:46 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I talked to a guy who sees Field Grade M1's at gun shows in the CMP case for $1,000. You know that seller got it for $650 and is just trying to make a buck. I had to join the Garand Collectors Association for $25 along with my passport and CCW license to qualify. That costs way less than $350 to buy one online. 

I'll let you know when I finally get mine. It's going to happen, it just comes down to when. 

6/15/20 @ 6:35 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

$650.00 seemed like a deal too could to be true. You could get one that was originally full auto. They get red hot. Even a Semi gets hot. I agree. Spend a little more for a non-worry deal. I know now too when it comes to my time.

6/15/20 @ 4:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Thanks Snake. I did some more research today and have decided to hold out for a Service Grade rifle. There's just too much risk with the Field Grades. You could get a gem or a POS. Kinda like the Brown County Packer Ticket draw. You could get the MNF game of the year or a pre-season game which you can't hardly give away. You don't know until after you pay for the tickets. LOL. 

6/15/20 @ 4:23 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I would have to look it up, but know that Muzzle wear is worse than Throat. Any muzzle wear above 3 is end of serviceable life. Throat above 5 is still ok, but can’t go over 10. If your muzzle is at 3, and you don’t put 100 rounds through it every month, it will probably still out last you. This is why the pro’s always preach cleaning the gun. Even wear is more likely to happen with a clean barrel. I never actually measured one but am sure there’s an expensive tool that Gunsmiths use. Im just not sure If you have to be over 3 on muzzle for non serviceable and if 3 or less is the point. Like, 2.8 is still serviceable but am unsure if 3.0 is still ok, or if you need to be 3.1 and higher? I would talk to a gunsmith unless you can find some good info on internet. I’m sure my numbers are close, but wouldn’t bet on them.

6/15/20 @ 12:06 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My dad qualified on one as well. I'm sure that I mentioned that somewhere on this thread. The field grade M1's are going for $650 so I'm not spending over a grand. I sent an email to CMP to see when more service or special grades will be available and they replied that they cannot predict a date. 

Snake, do you know what this means?

Field Grade - the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. 

Service Grade - the muzzle will gauge “3 or less” and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5. 

I'm not planning to use it to shoot competitively but am wondering how that would affect a pattern at 100 yards.

6/15/20 @ 7:45 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

That is the rifle I qualified on and used while serving. I have a special place in my heart for it. I personally wouldn’t mind any dings but I understand when spending over a thousand bucks, and maybe over 2, that you want something a little less beat up. I will say if you shoot anything at 100yds or less, you can hit it in the eye or nose if you want too. The weight of gun makes a quick second or even third shot much more smoother. I want one too, just not the right time for me. I can’t wait to see yours.

6/13/20 @ 1:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I got the final piece of the puzzle needed to order my Garand. My membership packet to the Garand Collectors Association arrived in the mail. A membership in that sort of association is required by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. I will be ordering in the next couple of days but don't expect to see the rifle for a while. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Edit: I went to order my rifle this afternoon and found that CMP is sold out of all M1's except for the Springfield/H&R Field Grade rifles. Kinda torn on whether or not to wait for Service Grades to become available. I do like that the Fields have a more vintage looking stock but the pitting/rusting on the metal may be worse than the Service Grades. But why wouldn't one expect to have dings, scratches and "patina" on an 80 year old battle rifle. The Field Grades are well within military specs on the barrel and I don't plan to be shooting out over 100 yds.

If anyone has owned/shot/handled M1's and has advice on whether I should hold out for a Service Grade or just go with the Field, I'd appreciate it.

6/7/20 @ 9:45 AM
Carpio
MEMBER since 11/5/17

Here’s what I bought with it.

6/3/20 @ 12:15 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

I can’t wait to hear about it Bugle. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 45 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.