MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Should I try and improve my Remington 700 .243 or just by a different rifle.

3/11/21 @ 12:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER SINCE 9/23/01

I have a plain jane Rem 700 in .243 cal. I have a 6X18 Bushnell scope and can hold a 2.3" group at 100 yds. With 100 grain V-Max handloads avg. muzzle velocity of 2750 fps. I intend on checking the trigger pull to see if it is reasonable (3-4 lb.). It seems to be a little heavy but I am far from an expert.

There is an after market stock from Magpul they have solid reviews and seem to be a nice upgrade. I don't need a tack driver just a reliable shooter to 200 yds for Whitetail and Coyotes.

Where is my money best spent? Do I trade it in and add a couple hundred to it to get a better platform or spend $200-$300 to customize my present gun?

I appreciate your informed suggestions,

Mac

DISPLAYING 21 TO 23 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

3/11/21 @ 8:14 PM
uplander
uplander
USER SINCE 10/6/09

keep it you wont ever regret it. save for a bit and by another rifle that you want. you cant ever replace one you got rid of and you aint gonna get alot for it anyway.

3/11/21 @ 1:01 PM
hockeyguy39
USER SINCE 8/24/07

In my expert opinion, and by expert I mean extreme amateur, I'd keep what you have and work from there.  The 700 seems to be a rather a proven entity from what I've read/seen/experienced. I would expect tighter grouping, though. Could be something a custom stock with the work done by a gunsmith will fix. Maybe get an opinion from one first though.
If it was a 783, I'd say ditch the pos and get something different. I did and wound up with a Savage 110. My only regret is not doing that a few years sooner. But I think a 700 is worth holding onto. Unless you just want a different gun lol

DISPLAYING 21 TO 23 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.