MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Should I try and improve my Remington 700 .243 or just by a different rifle.

3/11/21 @ 12:38 PM
ORIGINAL POST
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
MEMBER SINCE 9/23/01

I have a plain jane Rem 700 in .243 cal. I have a 6X18 Bushnell scope and can hold a 2.3" group at 100 yds. With 100 grain V-Max handloads avg. muzzle velocity of 2750 fps. I intend on checking the trigger pull to see if it is reasonable (3-4 lb.). It seems to be a little heavy but I am far from an expert.

There is an after market stock from Magpul they have solid reviews and seem to be a nice upgrade. I don't need a tack driver just a reliable shooter to 200 yds for Whitetail and Coyotes.

Where is my money best spent? Do I trade it in and add a couple hundred to it to get a better platform or spend $200-$300 to customize my present gun?

I appreciate your informed suggestions,

Mac

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

5/16/21 @ 10:07 AM
Chukar
Chukar
USER SINCE 6/21/19

One other thing, Remington 700s usually come with 1 to 9.25" twist rifling. 

Any bullets below 85 grains usually don't perform well ,only one's that work for me are Barnes TSX solids.

ETA- @ MITYHUF

Quit yelling at us! ??

5/14/21 @ 9:49 PM
MITYHUF
USER SINCE 5/18/20

MAC, MAKE SURE NO WOOD IS EVER TOUCHING THE BARREL, ALL BOLTS ARE TORQUED CORRECTLY AND IT WILL SHOOT EXTREMELY ACCURATE WHEN YOU HIT THE AMMO IT PREFERS...........I PREDICT A SMALLER, FASTER BULLET.........DONT SPEND A NICKEL ON ANYTHING ELSE UNLESS YOU WANT TO............BARREL MUST FREE FLOAT....A PRESSURE POINT IS AN IDIOT POINT....I AM SHOCKED THAT REMINGTON PUTS A PRESSURE PT ON SOME RIFLES.........THATS LIKE FISHING HOOKS MADE OF PAPER, GUARANTEED FAILURE......

5/14/21 @ 9:37 PM
MITYHUF
USER SINCE 5/18/20

PS.........I HAVE DONE ZERO UPGRADES............THAT RIFLE IS PURE ACCURATE

5/14/21 @ 9:35 PM
MITYHUF
USER SINCE 5/18/20

i have the same rifle.........it shoots sub inch grps with federal 85 grn bthp.........it is shockingly accurate with this ammo...........try other ammo..........it will shoot !!!!!!!.........mine thinks its a benchrest rifle...........im abt out of this older stuff so i will have to try other ammo soon.........mine prefers the smaller faster over the 100 grn....i never fnd a 100grn that would shoot sub moa ..........i adore my 700 in 243.......and it is nasty on deer and 1 bear.............DRT !!!!!!!!!

5/14/21 @ 7:49 AM
Chukar
Chukar
USER SINCE 6/21/19

I have the same rifle, only with a Vortex scope. 

Installed a Timney set at 3.5 lbs, and bedded. Handloads are 105 grn Hornady with 39.5 IMR 4350, in necked down 7,62 LC brass. Hornady factory 95s work great also.

The biggest improvement was installing a Harris bipod. 

Groups went from 1.5"-2" to sub 1". Barrel harmonics I guess. This set up works for me,but I know alot of people don't care for bipods.

3/20/21 @ 4:38 PM
Credance
USER SINCE 5/6/20

Read through the post didnt see my go to problem solver. Clean the barrel then clean it again clean it properly and carefully until all patches come back clean then try it again see if that helps 

3/18/21 @ 9:09 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER SINCE 3/14/08

Did they change the trigger on the 700?You used to be able to adjust it.

3/18/21 @ 8:17 AM
Shellfish
USER SINCE 7/19/03

Interesting...the 243 is a inherently accurate round.  You are able to get 2.3 inch groups with a 7 lb trigger.  Not really too bad.  You should be able to do better.

I would have scope checked out for mounting and scope quailty.  Does not take much variable in a scope to alter accuracy.  To fix a heavy trigger you could get a Timney trigger for model 700.  This would allow you to get a much better trigger pull.  I would not be able to shoot a 2.3 inch group with a 7 lb trigger.

Try a bunch of different factory loads.  Make and bullet weight.  Barrels will like a certain load and weight of bullet.  Have you had a friend who is a good shooter try your gun?  If they at best can only duplicate your accuracy or worse then you know you need to find your guns problem. 

This is important...  Have fun looking for the gremlins in your 700.  Don't make looking for the issue a chore.  Think of it as solving a riddle, (a game).   When you solve the riddle, (and you will), you will feel very satisfied.  

Good luck!

3/18/21 @ 3:09 AM
Mr.Seaguar
USER SINCE 2/5/05

I would just use it as is. Gazillions of deer have been killed with rifles that wouldn't group under 3" at 100yds on their best day. 

3/17/21 @ 5:58 PM
lip rippin
USER SINCE 4/16/09

Keep it for the dogs .I  deer hunted for years in Georgia with a 243 105 grain . Very small bodied deer there . Here I would go with a larger caliber . You stand to lose a deer of a life time . You heart will be racing and if your off say 3 inches hit him in a shoulder blade the deer will not go down but run off and bed down .  Then when you wait a good hour  ,  he will jump up when you go to track him and run into a swamp ect. I know  I learned the HARD way .

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 23 POSTS
Advertise here
Only Talon has up to 15' of anchoring, letting you pick the perfect hold for any condition. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Minn Kota Talon
The Deadeye Custom Series rods are all custom technique specific walleye jigging rods designed for the tournament walleye angler. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Dead Eye Custom Series Rods
Brand new for 2021, these technique-specific bass rods now feature advanced SCIII+ carbon blank and St. Croix's proprietary IPC®, FRS, TET technology for stunning performance at an unbelievable value. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: ST. CROIX RODS - Victory Spinning Rods
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.