MORE
Guns & Shooting

Scope Recommendations

10/26/17 @ 7:21 PM
INITIAL POST
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Hello all,

Looking for recommendations on a scope for a new rifle. Savage Axis .270 with the stainless barrel. Using for deer average shot is 100 yards. Would like silver to match the barrel. Budget is $150 tops. Haven't bought a scope in probably 8 years not really sure where to start. All opinions considered, thanks! 

Displaying 21 to 30 of 36 posts
11/1/17 @ 10:49 AM
ifish267
User since 6/14/06

Opticsplanet.com is hard to beat for in stock items and price comparison.

10/31/17 @ 5:49 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Thanks for all the great input so far. I'm still debating exactly how much I'd like to spend on this rifle with accessories. I'd like to find some of these scopes locally, but if not I'll have to look online. Any online retailers to stay away from?

10/31/17 @ 2:44 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I recommend saving up a little more money for a more of a mid level scope.  Like someone else said $300 or up, or a $300 scope on sale for less than that.  I used to hunt with the $100-$150 scopes and stepped up to a $550 4-16x44 Vortex Viper HS and am super impressed with it.  Very clear glass and have no issue getting full view looking down the scope with both eyes open  I didn't pay $550 as I found it on sale for something like $350 or $375.  

If you don't feel like paying all that much then the Nikon Prostaff, Vortex Diamondback, or Leupold VX-1 are all solid and highly rated for the price in the $150-$200 range.  My uncle has the Prostaff and I thought it was pretty solid, and my dad has the VX-1 which I also think is solid.

10/30/17 @ 8:29 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Pay close attention to the 2nd paragraph in the previous post.

Excellent advice, Paddle Power.

Tim

10/29/17 @ 2:40 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

I agree with huntfish. The VX1 line has historically been a good choice for hunters. Leupold has and will continue to be a top contender in the optics market for a long time. I also do think it's worth a little extra money for the VX2. I would recommend a VX 1 or VX 2 2-7x33 for that kind distance.

Scopes are kind of a personal choice though. Get behind as many of them as you can and use YOUR eyes to tell you what looks good. 

Vortex makes some quality items too and I know their warranty is outstanding.

Good luck in your search, there's a lot of decent choices out there. 

10/29/17 @ 2:13 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

aye,

I have a 4-12 x 44 Crossfire II on my 6.8 AR". Took a buck at 230yds (gps/map verified) with it four or five years ago. Came out on a dead run into a huge clearcut and it was easy to pick up (even on full magnification) and make the shot. Not top of the line by any means, but the glass is clear and it did the job.

10/29/17 @ 10:37 AM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

VX1 is a clear scope for the price. You do not have the ability as on the vx2 to dial the scope image to its best for the shooter looking through the scope. Kind of like binoculars, everyone needs to adjust for best vision. I have had leupold for years and spent the extra on the vx2 over tne vx1 for my sons gun. They were on sale and still may be for about $230

10/29/17 @ 9:31 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Not familiar with Vortex at all but I'll check them out. Always good to keep $$ local. Nikon looks good as well.

I did a little more searching online and saw a few recommendations for the Leuopold VX1. On sale its right around $175-200. Is the cheaper Leupold stuff still good or not so much?

10/28/17 @ 11:49 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Vortex makes some inexpensive scope that are really nice. Plus the have a lifetime warranty and are also based out of Wisconsin (Middleton).

Not sure if the have any inexpensive ones in "stainless" color, though.

Vortex Optics

10/26/17 @ 9:19 PM
wallstreet
User since 9/10/15

Nikon buckmaster would be a good $150 scope. Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Displaying 21 to 30 of 36 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE