MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

Savage .17 blow up

12/9/18 @ 4:39 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Greyghost
Greyghost
USER since 6/24/01

My brother won a 17 caliber savage thumb hole stock bull barrel accuracy trigger fancy looking gun. He won it a year ago he doesn't shoot. He gave it to his son my nephew and a year and a half later they ask me to scope it up. I took it to my gunsmith he cleaned it scoped it and when he sighted it in it blew up. He fired three shots had a good grouping the fourth shot blew the clip out shot debris back into his face and cracked the stock. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? What would your next step be?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 Posts
2/7/19 @ 4:00 PM
Johnny Wishbone
Johnny Wishbone
USER since 8/15/18

I had the same thing happen with a Browning.

Post Your Comment
2/6/19 @ 5:42 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Replacing the gun isn’t the only thing they should do.

Post Your Comment
2/5/19 @ 6:00 PM
Greyghost
Greyghost
USER since 6/24/01

UPDATE  Savage replaced this gun very satisfied 

Post Your Comment
12/10/18 @ 12:33 PM
Mr.Seaguar
Mr.Seaguar
MEMBER since 2/5/05

Change my shorts

Post Your Comment
12/9/18 @ 7:58 PM
alcrumpler
alcrumpler
USER since 7/19/09

I had a Mossberg do the same first thought cause blew out back of the shell so had tovsend that in once it was determined wasnt the ammo then call mossbuger they sent a box finding the the bolt wasnt completely closing tigh in the breach sent me a better gun free of charge an want any hospital bills or doc vists they pay.longish process but worth it

Post Your Comment
12/9/18 @ 6:09 PM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

I would call Savage.  Make sure you have the box of ammo used.  My guess is they will want both sent to them for examination.  What .17 cartridge was this chambered for?  There are several these days....... 

Post Your Comment
12/9/18 @ 5:01 PM
Greyghost
Greyghost
USER since 6/24/01

It came all decked out with the stock barrel trigger look it up they are quite fancy out for the box

Post Your Comment
12/9/18 @ 4:56 PM
ayeFeesh
ayeFeesh
USER since 5/17/11

The stock is aftermarket I'm assuming?

Post Your Comment