SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Rifle Scope

9/19/19 @ 10:18 AM
INITIAL POST
Target Chaser
User since 9/19/19

Which things should i consider before buying a rifle scope?

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
9/28/19 @ 9:10 AM
fagjy999
User since 9/28/19

In general, there are three types of sights: collimator, laser and optical. In principle, I tried each of them, but decided to focus on the Smart HD scope for day and night shooting ATN X-SIGHT 4K INT 5-20C with an ATN 4K M265 sensor, 3864 (B) x 2218 (B) (bought here https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-weapon-sight ) and hunting It has become much easier. In addition, I can record video in Full HD format.

9/27/19 @ 3:25 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I have had great experiences with Nikon and Vortex in the past (except the original Vortex Crossfire) and also Leupold (just had one sent in that was 20+ years old that finally had something internal knock loose, but was repaired under warranty). 

While that was being repaired, I bought a Styrka S5 3-9x40 and was EXTREMELY impressed. One piece bell housing/main tube, crystal clear glass and what is probably the best warranty in the business. Lifetime, no-questions-asked warranty like the other big names, but once a year on Styrka's dime, you can send the scope in to have them clean, check over and replace anything that is not on the up-and-up. They pay shipping both ways and any parts that are needed. My scope also came with a nice neoprene scope cover instead of those stupid plastic caps with bungee cords and a nice lens cloth that folds into a neoprene cover for field use. Adjustment was true 1/4 MOA, solid clicks and has held zero through a few boxes of 165 gr. Superformance SST's. It was priced similar to comparable Nikon and Leupold scopes. The cleaning and reconditioning isn't something I intend to do every year, but I could see doing it once every 3-5 years, maybe a little more often if it is used a lot or is mounted atop one of the whiz-bang magnums that seem so popular nowadays...

As for features, I agree with the posts below. Determine how it will be used (hunting, target, caliber, shot distance, etc.), what you want to spend and then go to a place like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. that have a LOT of scopes and look through as many that are in your budget as possible before purchasing. Last November, I went on a mule deer hunt in Montana. The first three days of my trip it rained. All day. Then switched to snow. I shot my rifle the first day out there at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards and on day 6 of my 10 day hunt shot my buck at 365 yards across a canyon using a Nikon 3-9x40 scope on top of a my Remington .30-06. Some guys bash Nikon scopes, but I have had very good luck with them. Buy the best scope you can afford and just as important...BUY A GOOD MOUNT! I switched all my high powered rifles to DNZ Game Reaper one-piece mounts and will never look back. The fewer pieces there are in the puzzle, the easier it goes together and stays there. Good luck!

9/25/19 @ 7:00 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

Beg to differ Tim. Vortex and Nikon manufacture some cheaper and lower end scopes and binos for which Leupold makes no similar product. They also market some quality products which compete with Leupold. When you truly compare apples to apples, pricing becomes very comparable.

As stated, buy the best you can afford. Huge quality difference between low/high end product.

9/24/19 @ 10:19 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

You could spend less and get just a good of a scope as a Leupold if you buy a Nikon or Vortex.

Whatever you get, don't skimp on it!

Tim

9/19/19 @ 11:04 AM
big mac
User since 2/19/02

× What is it used for (hunting,  target)

× Range of normal use(under 100 yards, over 100 yards)

× Caliber of rifle (rim fire, center fire, large bore).

× Glass quality,  warranty,  field of view,  quality rings/mounting,  cost, power (1×4, 3x9, 4x12...)

Just a few things to consider & think about. 

Big Mac 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE