MORE
Guns & Shooting

Reloading

11/18/21 @ 11:53 AM
INITIAL POST
hunterdog
User since 1/23/10

Good afternoon, 

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help/advise? I have been reloading for about 20 years and am having an issue with reloading my 270WSM. It seams that I’m doing something wrong because I keep cracking the neck once I’ve removed the primer and pull the de primer back threw the neck. It doesn’t always happen but at least half the time it does. Brass has been shot once amd then I’m reloading it. Any suggestions? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts
12/5/22 @ 4:50 PM

that hand loading site that guy posted is a scam if you guys didnt figure it out

11/29/22 @ 7:31 PM
lunkbox
lunkbox
User since 7/24/01

I have a box of Winchester, 270 casings, 150 grain if anybody wants them for reloading. I’m just south of Fond du lac

10/2/22 @ 2:21 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

I need the IMR 4831 for my 270 win. I use 4350 in my son's 7mm rem and had planned on using that for the 280 AI. 

9/30/22 @ 9:20 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Grandpa, try here:  https://handloadingsupply.com/product/imr-4831-smokeless-powder-1-lb/

its out there but I have found IMR 4451, and Reloader 17 and 19 to run much better in my .280's  I prefer IMR4451, not temp sensitive like IMR4831.  Understand you are probably looking for something a tad slower if trying to feed a 280AI  both 17 & 19 I have found superior to 4831.  Caveat all rifles are different.  ;  )

Good luck

9/29/22 @ 3:24 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Anyone out there know where I can get some IMR 4831, or is anyone willing to part with some?

1/14/22 @ 9:40 AM
shootist7
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/14

Try lubing the neck expander or maybe get a carbide neck expander. They also make different size neck expanders, try a couple thousands smaller. Also, try annealing the brass?

1/12/22 @ 8:06 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I don't know if you have solved your problem.  Here are a few thoughts.  Are you using the same batch and make of brass?  If you use other batchs or makes of brass, do they also split at the neck?  If the manufacturer of the brass does not make a difference on neck splitting, then we have eliminated one area, its not the brass.  I don't know what make of reloading dies you have but could your expander ball be out of spec for your cartridge?  You would need to micrometer check that.  If the expander ball is in correct spec and you are lubing correctly and correct die depth setting standards are being used.  You have eliminated another possible area.  Also recheck your reloading data.  If your pressures are a little high this will lead to quick cartridge fatigue and split necks.  Are you checking your cartridges closely after firing for splits necks at that time.  A final thought is you might consider having the the neck area of the (barrel chamber) mic checked by someone with the proper equipment.  If the neck is minutely too large,  it would cause very quick cartridge neck fatigue.  I don't know what you could do about that highly unlikely problem, other than rebarrel.  These are all just speculations.  Please let us know if you have solved your problem. 

1/11/22 @ 12:25 PM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10

If the neck is cracked, it has the largest probablility of being cracked during firing - pressure issue.

If it is dimpling the neck/shoulder, then too much oil and dirty sizer

12/11/21 @ 4:18 PM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
User since 1/6/17

What type of die are you using? Full length, neck die, or is it a bushing die?

Also how much are you bumping the shoulder?

12/2/21 @ 8:57 AM
Duke M
User since 1/12/09

Use a small brush wiped with a bit of case lube and brush the inside of the necks. That will ease the withdrawal of the expander dramatically. I have two old mascara brushes I got somewhere. They are tapered and I roll the bristles on a tin of Imperial sizing wax.

If neck splitting continues to be a factor I would suggest annealing the neck and shoulder area. I anneal with a propane torch in a dimly lit room with a sink with a few inches of water in it. I rotate the case, holding it by the head between my thumb, fore finger, and middle finger rolling it back and forth in the blue cone of the flame. I do not want to see the case starting to glow, that is too far. As soon as I feel heat in my fingers I drop the case in water. Typically I count in my head to about 9 or 10. A little practice and it will get easy. I feel I should get at least 10 reloads out of a case. 

12/1/21 @ 10:44 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Frustrating supply chain issues. Good luck!

11/30/21 @ 7:43 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Mopesrus, Thanks. I looked on Brownells but couldn't seem to find them. Unfortunately they are out of stock but will keep checking.

11/28/21 @ 3:47 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Granpa,

Looks like Brownell's has what you're looking for:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/280-ackley-improved-full-length-die-set-prod111230.aspx#:~:text=This%20280%20Ackley%20Improved%20Two-Die%20Full%20Length%20Die,brings%20the%20case%20to%20SAAMI%20minimum%20cartridge%20dimensions.

11/27/21 @ 12:09 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Wondering if anyone on here knows if reloading dies for 280 Ackley Improved are available from some where. I have a RCBS press.

11/24/21 @ 4:59 PM
Stressless
User since 5/17/16

Had this happen to me a few  years ago with one of the calibers I was reloading.  For some reason the de-primer pin (rod) inside the sizer die was adjusted too deep.  I backed the pin off until it just was able to remove the old primer.  That solved my problem.  However, I also agree with the other comment to contact one of the reloading customer service centers (I use RCBS).  They have been helpful to me in the past.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE