SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Qualified Gunsmith for Double Barrel Shotgun Service

5/28/21 @ 6:44 PM
INITIAL POST
jtrad08
User since 5/28/21

I recently inherited an old FF Forbes side-by-side shotgun from my ailing grandfather. I believe it’s a 12GA. No idea what the chamber length is or how tight it is choked at the muzzle. It has 30414 stamped on the barrels, receiver, and fore grip so I’m assuming that’s the serial number. It has two triggers and internal hammers.

I’ve done a little bit of research and someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I understand that this girl was a pretty run of the mill shotgun in the early 1900s—nothing special, worth maybe 200 bucks for a nice one now. Regardless of its monetary value, its sentimental value is worth far more to me. It’s been in my family for at least two generations now—consequently, it’s now showing two generations of wear and tear.

It needs to be looked at by someone with experience in double barrel guns. Moreover, someone who is willing to do more than just swap parts out. For example, the barrels need to be brought back to being tight on face. Does anybody know of a gunsmith near Madison, WI (or in Wisconsin) that does this kind of work? I’d even consider going a state east, west, south, or north.

Thanks for any help!

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
6/9/21 @ 12:39 PM
jtrad08
User since 5/28/21

It appears “backed up, not taking new repairs” is a common theme at the moment. I was able to reach Vintage Firearms in Grand Rapids, MI. They specialize in double guns so if they can’t produce a fireable fix, likely no one can. I’ll be sending my gun across the pond to them toward the end of July when their schedule is supposed to open up.

Quackshot, I understand your point. But, if it can be fixed, the additional years of use would be worth the price of a quality repair.

6/8/21 @ 11:43 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

You could try Larry Wehinger in Monroe, WI.  Does great work.

6/7/21 @ 6:31 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

With all due respect I suggest simply keeping it as a keepsake. Just the cost to put it back on face will far exceed the value of the gun. Good Luck

6/6/21 @ 9:33 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Sounds like the gun smith trade needs some new blood.  Any upncumers on Lake Link?

6/6/21 @ 7:09 PM
gunut
User since 8/13/14

I tried Dennis Potter.....not accepting .... backed up...

I tried Hugh Lomas.....retired

I tried Glenn Fewless....havent heard back

I tried Mark Beasland....not taking any work....backed up.....

WTF

5/30/21 @ 1:53 PM
Cobra57
Cobra57
PRO MEMBER User since 2/4/18

Pidcock’s in ELkhorn?

5/28/21 @ 9:47 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Bluraven advertises gun restoration

another option is to call precision gun works in oshkosh and see what they say or give you a lead to another gunsmith.  Been in business 40 years and theyre more into modern guns, thats where the bread and butter is. So it wont hurt to ask. 

5/28/21 @ 7:33 PM
jtrad08
User since 5/28/21

Great! Mark’s website says that he’s backlogged and not taking new orders at the moment. I reached out to see if/when his schedule will open up.

5/28/21 @ 6:57 PM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10
Mark's Born Again Birdguns in Wausau
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE