Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Purchasing AR-15

6/17/20 @ 4:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

My adult son mentioned he wants to buy an AR-15 for plinking targets and hunting, while I have thought about it for home security. I have done research on brands etc. and feel overwhelmed. I have plenty of rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Any experienced suggestions being in the $1200 range for quality and dependability? Everything I buy is for the long haul, and want to be satisfied with the purchase.

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/19/20 @ 8:13 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Snakester - I like the Ruger alot, no problems with it but I don't have alot to compare it to, I don't know mcuh about AR's.

As far as home defense I have some handguns placed throughout the house in hard to find places but easy to get to. Once our newborn gets older I plan to buy more safes. The AR is in a soft case under the bed with some loaded magazines. Not sure when I would ever use this in rural WI but we live in crazy times. I agree with a shotgun being a great choice for home defense. 

When I lived in Alaska I always had a loaded shotgun with me when camping and at home for bears, along with a .454 revolver with bear load that I carried on me when I was out hiking or fishing. First two rounds in shotgun were buck shot, last 3 rounds were slugs. Better chance of hitting the bear with buckshot and scaring it off without killing it. 

6/19/20 @ 12:20 AM
Chukar
Chukar
User since 6/21/19

Few things that I want to elaborate on, take it with a grain of salt..  

Shotguns, yes they are very effective at close range. Very limited magazine capacity, muzzle blast, and yes over penitration. 

I love them for HD(2 shockwaves, 590 and 1100 12 round) but has anyone tried to fire a pump action prone? 

My buddies and me did a simple test at the range in a 20' connex box. 

Yes,  shotgun was the worst concussive force out of  anything, plus the overpenitration of 00 buck.

40-45 grain " varmint " bullets,  coupled with 30+ round magazine capacity are a very viable HD weapon. They basically vaporize on contact,with temporary and permanent wound cavity rivaling a shotgun wound. 

6/18/20 @ 9:10 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03
i am happy with my rock river arms ar. As far as home defense goes a shotgun loaded with buckshot would be my choice. if You do not want to use a pistol.  You have to be careful using a rifle inside of a house. The bullets could easily go though a wall and hit a family member. Or though a window and hit the Person walking their dog.

6/18/20 @ 5:09 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Of course you should have a hand gun on the ready. More fire power never hurts. More is always better. 

6/18/20 @ 4:45 PM
Jeremy
User since 6/15/01

For home security, I would use a pistol

6/18/20 @ 3:00 PM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Hunt fish, These other guys got me thinking that it might be a good idea to decide what size AR your son wants/needs to satisfy his shooting. .223, 556, 762.39,762.51...., there might be more sizes but them are the main players on the market. A 762.51 (AR10) will be hard to find for under $1200, but they’re probably out there close to that price. You don’t have to spend that much to get a high quality 15.
Fishnhunt, I never heard anything bad about the Rugers. How does it perform for you?

6/18/20 @ 9:36 AM
Chukar
Chukar
User since 6/21/19

I have multiples,mostly PSA.

Wife has 2 S&W M&Ps, one has an Anderson 300 BO upper.

Both are great entry level guns,and I think they were $650 each. 

One thing to consider with multiple calibers is the chance of loading the wrong mag.Her 300 is set up Pmag 20 rounders,and the .556 with GI 30s

Don't want a kaboom!

6/18/20 @ 6:58 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I bought a Ruger AR-15 4 years ago for around $650. Not the best built AR but gets the job done. At the time there was a big push to ban AR's and the local gun shops could not stock them fast enough. They got 15 in stock and the next day there was only one left so I bought it. Shot a box of ammo through it after I bought it and its been sitting ever since, but ready to go if needed. Ammo is not cheap compared to plinking with my .22

I wish I would have bought an AR-10 in .30 cal, the .223 is a pretty weak round.

6/18/20 @ 6:08 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Bugle mentions all companies with great reputations. My AR of choice is Windham Weaponry. The company came to be when Bushmaster was bought from Remington. Bushmaster moved out of Windham, and some of the former employees created Windham Weaponry at existing plant. High quality weapons and think you’ll be pleased with the price. It will shoot any ammo except the Russian Soft point ammo. Tolerance is tighter than an AK. AK’s will shoot anything. Most American AR’s wouldn’t like SoftPoint Russian ammo, but there may be some out there that like it. It doesn’t bother me a bit, as I normally shoot Brass . I do burn some cheap Russian FMJ through it on occasion though. Lol
I would read about the companies you’re interested in and read good and bad reviews. You want a company that will back its product. AR’s are great for hunting too. I have never had an issue with Windham Weaponry. Good luck and tell us what you finally decided.

6/17/20 @ 7:33 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I only have one AR that is a high-end rifle. It's an Anderson Mfg and I got if for a steal. 

My first AR-15 was/is a Del-Ton in 5.56mm. My ex-military friend who got it for me said that Del-Ton is a quality company and actually makes parts for more popular brands like DPMS. I've not had any problems with the rifle and have shot cheap Soviet metal rounds through it. 

My second AR has a Yankee Hill Machine receiver chambered in 6.8 SPC. The barrel assembly is a DPMS. Again, never had an issue with the rifle but I've only shot match-grade ammo through it. Would recommend YHM. Nelson Tactical had this as their signature brand when I bought the receiver. 

My Anderson AR-10, well, it's an Anderson so I can't compare it to lower-cost models.

Good Luck!

DISPLAYING 11 TO 20 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.