SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

New Guns

2/2/20 @ 2:26 PM
INITIAL POST
wallywood
User since 1/1/02

Ruger released the new 57 handgun a couple weeks back. Its chambered in 5.7 X 28 and will compete with the FN which has been out for years. Its msrp. is $799 and will probally sell in the $ 650 range. Thats almost half the cost of the FN and most reviews have been positive. It has very little recoil and a 20 rd. magazine. The downside is the cost of ammo. Its a very large gun but not heavy. Its something that would not interest me, but a PC carbine with this round would. Just wondering what you guys think.

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
2/16/20 @ 9:16 PM
wallywood
User since 1/1/02

I believe firearms in the 5.7 X 28 round are allowed at indoor ranges like Fletchers. Not so with other center fire rifles. Yes I know its only a 25 yard max. but sometimes you want to shoot at a place thats close to home . Like I posted before, its not for me but would appeal to some of the shooting public. I also think that the Ford Hood shooter used a FN five-seveN to murder our servicemen.

2/9/20 @ 2:06 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

If you want a 5.7 for a particular use, there are probably better options out there. If you just want a carbine in the caliber for range time, buy a FN PS90 and be done with it. I have some experience with that gun, as an old coworker I used to shoot with had one. It looks weird, but the design works quite well for shooting and doesnt take super long to get used to. It was a fun gun to shoot, and his was reliable. We blew through about 500 rounds one afternoon with his and no failures. (5.7 was a little cheaper then). I know other manufacturers make a 5.7 platform now but not sure what their reliability is. Just my opinion, FN is the route I'd go if I wanted a gun in the caliber. As has been said though, not a cheap caliber to shoot though, depending on your budget obviously.

2/9/20 @ 12:51 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I think the title of this thread should have been "What do you think of the new Ruger 57?"

On a serious note, this round has never really interested me due to the fact that that it is a weird, underpowered rifle bullet shot out of a handgun. The handgun barrel is not long enough to hunt with (legally) and the ammo is WAY too expensive to shoot often enough to use it for self-defense. It basically was designed to defeat body armor in a handgun, and a few years ago we lost a very young state trooper in Wisconsin to this round while on his first day of solo patrol. If you want one, get one I guess? But if you want it in a carbine or rifle, why not just buy and AR-15 with a 30 round magazine and get a more powerful round that is 5 times cheaper to shoot from a rifle that would probably be 5 times cheaper than one chambered in 5.7x28?

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE