SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Muzzleloader Suggestions

12/28/21 @ 8:18 PM
INITIAL POST
LIEBE
User since 1/8/03

I'm in the market to replace my inline 50 caliber muzzleloader with a new and improved muzzleloader. Would like to hear your thoughts. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts
12/7/22 @ 8:54 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

master piker,,,, thanks yah thats what ive heard as well.

12/7/22 @ 1:05 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I would also note that I do not use the CVA BH209 breech plug in my Optima rifles...I use the SSK Firearms aftermarket breech plug (also designed for use with BH209). The primer pocket has much tighter tolerances and it has a replaceable 'vent liners' that thread into the breech plug. When the flame from the primer enlarges your flash hole and accuracy begins to suffer, simply remove the old vent liner and install a new one with a dab of anti-seize on it. The CVA Breech plugs I used to use had a TON of blow back due to loose primer pockets. Cheddite 209 primers helped this (slightly larger diameter than U.S. primers), but blow back is no longer an issue for me since switching to the SSK Breech plug. My groups shrank significantly after switching to the new breech plug. Not sponsored or affiliated with SSK whatsoever, but their product is the real deal and is cheaper than the CVA plug...A breech plug and 4 spare vent liners are $48.00 (basically like buying 5 CVA breech plugs for $48.00 since the flash channel / flash hole are the part that wears out on a breech plug). Hope this helps someone. Unfortunately, they only make a plug for 2010 and newer CVA Wolf/Optima/Accura and Knight Mountaineer/Ultralight models at this time...

12/7/22 @ 12:35 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Jzzzzz,

Are you talking regular 209 primers or the reduced power muzzleloader-specific primers? I haven't seen any of the latter in months...probably over a year actually...Since switching to BH209 a few years ago, I just grab a tray of magnum 209 primers from my shotgun reloading supply tote. The hotter the better!

12/6/22 @ 1:14 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

I've got (160)  209 primers I won't be needing

12/6/22 @ 10:06 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Anyone have any 209 muzzeloader primers they'd part with? Things are like gold!

12/4/22 @ 11:33 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

+1 with all of Master Pikers comments. I've had great luck with BH209. Will never go back to 777. I've killed several elk and a few deer with my favorite bullet/load combo. Never an issue. Used in some nasty weather conditions.  As noted, proper equipment/procedures required. 

12/4/22 @ 8:32 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Weird...must be something with that gun/breech plug or that bottle of powder. I've shot about 5 pounds of BH209 and will never use anything else. Triple Se7en or White Hots would be my second choice if I was unable to get BH209, but as long as I can get it, I will be using BH209.

12/4/22 @ 7:01 PM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

Been doing this a long time without a hangfire or misfire having numerous antelope ,mule deer and whitetail to my credit, after witnessing two failed attempts by my buddy on the biggest bucks of his life I decided a little crud ring is not that hard to clean and didn't walk but ran back to 777. I also leave a charge in my gun till I shoot at game or season is over. Not even a consideration  to empty and load everyday but to each their own.

12/4/22 @ 10:13 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I did not mean for that to be offensive, but if you looked in the breech plug on those hang fires or 'squib' shots, my guess is you would see carbon buildup from the primer or it was a non-compatible breech plug design. Weak shots can also be an indication of the bullet not being fully seated on the powder charge...

12/4/22 @ 10:05 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

Percheye,

It says right on the Blackhorn 209 website that it does not work in all muzzleloaders. It has to be able to shoot a full strength shotgun primer, have a sealed primer pocket and it helps to have a recessed breech face to get the powder closer to the primer. 

You also have to maintain your breech plug with regular cleaning of the flash channel and flash hole. This is with any propellant, but Blackhorn has a higher flashpoint than others. I have never had hangfires or failures with Blackhorn. Get a drill bit that can lean the flash channel and a torch tip cleaner for cleaning your flash hole and use them about every 10 shots and you will likely never have problems.

I shot this doe last night at 100 yards with a 250 gr. Hornady MonoFlex ML bullet on top of 84 gr (by weight) of BH209. It was 13 degrees with 30 mph winds and my W209 primer obviously did the job lighting it...Blackhorn is the best substitute on the market. You just have to have compatible equipment and maintain it.

Muzzleloader  Suggestions photo by Master_Piker
12/3/22 @ 6:08 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

All you have to do is drill it out with a 1/8 in drill bit takes 5 min.Or buy a new breech for 32 bucks.I would never go back.To any other powder.

12/3/22 @ 9:22 AM
percheye1
User since 6/24/01

I have to chime in on powders. I just saw a so called expert on a podcast advocating for Blackhorn 209. While it may be a clean powder I have witnessed bullets literally falling to the ground and actually found my friends bullet about 30 yards from the muzzle on top of the dirt. They actually had a warning on Blackhorn websight about misfires and drilling out apeture in some muzzleloaders breach plugs. I would be very hesitant to  use a powder that may or may not ignite depending on conditions. Also they tell you to not leave a load in your gun overnight.

777 for me.

12/2/22 @ 9:03 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Thank you. 

12/2/22 @ 6:18 PM
daleracefan
User since 3/27/02

Ere, they areNot legal for muzzle season, but can be used during the gun hunt

12/2/22 @ 5:56 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07

Are the traditions muzzle loaders with the firestick legal in wi.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 31 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE