SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

Browning A5

11/30/21 @ 3:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Lundy66
User since 9/9/19

I have an opportunity to purchase several guns from an older family member.  One of the guns is an older Browning A5 12 gauge.  Looks like the gun has been well maintained.  According to the serial number it looks like it was made in 1953.  The barrel has a stamp that it was made in St. Louis.

What would a this gun be worth?  Just want to give him a fair purchase price.

Thanks

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts
12/19/21 @ 8:20 AM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

That shotgun may have been made in Belgium and worth more than noted in an earlier post (even if the barrel was made in St. Louis)

I have an A5 made in Belgium, and it is a very smooth gun with a great swing - it is heavier than it needs to be though lol

For choke, the shotgun is ordered full, modified, or improved.  It is what it is. Mine has a full choke, not good for close shots, but definitely can reach out and fold a bird!

It also never jams, very reliable and fun shotgun!

Also, you shouldn’t shoot steel shot through them. I’ve done it here and there with mine, but I remember reading articles that you shouldn’t, as the steel doesn’t compress like lead does, and can damage the barrel. 

Lastly, you are correct, only takes 2-3/4 shells. 

12/1/21 @ 11:05 AM
Lundy66
User since 9/9/19

I would be ok with that price.  I do not think it can take a choke tube and probably only takes 2 3/4" shells.  I really dont bird hunt, but have considered going with friends out west pheasant hunting.  Not sure if it would be good for that or not.

They also have an older Marlin 12 gauge over/under that is really intriguing.  Bad time of the year for extra cash, but if I can get a decent price of both of them together.  Hmmmm

11/30/21 @ 11:33 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

I seen them anywhere from 300 bucks(pretty rough and usally with a poly choke) up to 6 or 700 for some really pretty ones. I had one when I was younger, really a nice gun,everyone who shot it loved it. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it. My old man said it was because it was to nice of a gun for me.haha. but I do like them offer him 4 bills if its in as nice a shape as you say. Take it out in the field and have fun as they are a nice shotgun 

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE