MORE
Guns & Shooting

5.56 or 7.62

3/23/24 @ 4:21 PM
INITIAL POST
Carpio
Old bass guy
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/22

Thinking about getting a military type AR 15 or ?. Never had or shot one. Don’t know a ton about them or which brands are better or acceptable for a guy of limited knowledge. Heard pros and cons. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
4/9/24 @ 5:11 PM
Gman762
Gman762
User since 1/10/21
Find a deal on one of the S&W, Ruger, Anderson or other name brand rifles with a 16" barrel and a 1:7" or 1:8" twist rate. Either a 556 NATO or 223 Wylde chambering. These will handle lighter weight projectiles (non-varmint), yet stabilize the heavier weight projectiles (60-75gr) for hunting deer out to 200yds. Trust me, it will plant them just as dead as any other caliber if you can deliver the shot on call.

The AR-10 or SR-25 or M-110 rifles are in limited use in the military, so they cannot be pointed to as a "military rifle". They are heavier, harder to fire from "positions", recoil harder and bite your pocketbook harder when you buy or shoot one. I fired on the Armalite Natl Rifle Team in the 90's and although I had an AR-10 in 6.5x308 (260 Rem), I could shoot higher scores across the course using the AR-15 platform out to 600yds. Matter of fact, I beat my other 3 team members in the 200/300/600yd team match at the Nationals and they all used AR-10's. Big isn't always better.

You can get a rifle with Battle Sights if you are proficient with them or you can get one of the flat top models, put on a mount that projects the scope forward and puts the centerline of a 1-4X or 2-7X optic at the same height above the centerline of the bore as the battle sights. This will allow you to settle into eye relief properly and allow you to get that nice "chipmunk cheek" stock weld consistently. 

Now, go buy all  of the M-193 ammo that you can afford and learn to shoot the rifle.It will become an addiction.
5.56 or 7.62 photo by Gman762
4/9/24 @ 12:12 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
OBG,

What are you hoping to do with it? If you're just using it for shooting 5.56 all the way. If hunting, go with the larger caliber.
4/5/24 @ 8:01 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21
The biggest thing you need right now is some experience with a 556 or lower, before you can make up your mind if you want a 308/7.62. When you get onto some of these bigger rounds,…, some don’t realize how far they can go. 
Don’t rush to spend a lot of money on a gun until you’ve read everything about it, and have some experience under your belt. JMO
3/27/24 @ 11:51 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Start with You tube. Tupe in any question you have about AR-15 and you will get 10 answers. 
Don’t be concerned about .556 or .223. All the major manufacturers will shoot both. .556 more the military caliber designation. 
If you really want to shoot it, get the .556/.223 rifle. Shells about 50 cents each. That means a clip of 30 cost you $15. The 7.62 about a buck apiece. Not saying if you scour internet you won’t find them a bit cheaper. 
Buy a good basic weapon. Think your choices will be all priced around $650-$750. I would narrow it down to Smith & Wesson base model, (usually the least expensive of the three) The basic Springfield Armory Saint, or Ruger .556. No one will look down at you at any range if you have one of these three. Plenty of you tube info on all out there. All three are infinitely customizable, or fine bone stock. All three accurate, reliable, and most of all fun to shoot! No perceivable recoil to the .556/.223. So your woman or even young child will like it too.
If you can scratch together $999. Bud’s guns has the Colt 6920 on sale. It is the original M-4 carbine our Military has carried for generations.. The quality of that rifle for that price is unsurpassed…Don’t be afraid to shop online-they will steer you to an FFL holder in your neighborhood. 
Don’t be scared of tearing the rifle apart for cleaning either. Looks complicated at first, because unlike other “hunting” rifles. It is ridiculously easy. Again you tube big help.
Any other questions guys here will be happy to help. I was like you only a few years ago. 
All I can say is buying my first Black Rifle was a thrill and have repeated it again recently with an AK. There are 7 million AR’s out there, join us and  you won’t regret it!
3/24/24 @ 5:12 PM
Wally Pike
User since 3/16/21
Go to a local trustworthy indoor gun range- they usually have several platforms you can rent for a shoot and try them out. You really need to try some different stuff before you buy IMO.
3/24/24 @ 11:10 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01
Really depends on what you want to do.  If you want to plink, home defense, coyote hunt then the 5.56 which is not exactly the same as .223 is the way to go in a AR 15 platform.   Probably a AR chambered for 223 wylde will accommodate either chambering.  If you think you might want to do some deer hunting then the 7.62 / .308 maybe a better option.  Typically you would see these labeled as an AR 10. Of course it is going to be more expensive to shoot the 7.62 and it has significantly better performance than the 5.56.   You will also see and hear the term Armalite Rifle referred to MSR or Modern Sporting Rifle to try and shift some ignorance away from the definition of AR.   But it is what it is.  The platform is extremely easy to handle and easy to shoot.   If you truly want to plink you may consider a Pistol Caliber Carbine in the AR platform like a 9mm.  Good luck in your quest. 
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE