SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

.22 for Coyote

1/16/22 @ 3:42 PM
INITIAL POST
Old bass guy
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/22

I’m having an issue with coyote’s. Where I live I can bow hunt, but can’t shoot a center fire rifle or shotgun. Hoping to take them with a .22. Have anyone have any tips on using such a small caliber?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
2/2/22 @ 2:34 PM
lockie
User since 3/10/16

I kill them all the time with .22 short.  Trapping.  I don't think you would have any problem taking them with long rifle within 50 yards aim for the heart, you might have to track them a little ways but I would say go for it/ 

2/1/22 @ 10:10 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

There are air rifles that have the power to kill deer and hogs.  Bit of an investment, and not sure how loud they are. Wonder if you could legally add a silencer, without the Federal rigmarole, because it's not a firearm?

1/30/22 @ 5:05 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

If possible shoot out a window with muzzle inside.  Hard least sound outside.  We shot crows that way when kids . Just close the bedroom door . Acts like a giant silencer. 

1/29/22 @ 9:25 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I don't understand this...you can bowhunt there, but can't shoot a centerfire rifle or shotgun...but can use a .22LR? Is it a city/village ordinance or something?  I don't understand how you can discharge one firearm (22LR) but not another (20 ga. for instance?). Or are you just hoping the .22 is quiet enough you can get away with shooting that? 

If I had to pick a .22LR load to kill a coyote, it would be a copper plated lead round nose moving as fast as possible. Something like a 40 gr. CCI Mini-Mag or Winchester Super-X Hyper Velocity (40 gr. LRN @ 1435 FPS). I would aim for the head/brainstem in an attempt to anchor the 'yote in your yard and keep shots within 50-60 yards as others have said. I would personally shy away from CCI Stingers, as a light hollowpoint moving that fast and hitting a hard coyote skull may splash and not penetrate. If it were an option, I'd rather use a 20 gauge shotgun with #4 buck. It would be like shooting a coyote 15 times simultaneously with a .22LR! Aim for the center of the chest cavity and let 'er eat! Good luck!

1/20/22 @ 12:44 PM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

17 Mach II uses a .22 long rifle casing necked down to .17. Flatter shooter than std .22 but pretty wimpy ft lbs.

17 HMR uses a .22 magnum casing - now ya, that will knock em down at longer range for sure.

1/20/22 @ 10:59 AM
PENNPAL
User since 8/5/11

have to get alucky shot with a .22. the .17m will knock them down 

1/19/22 @ 4:35 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Head shots. Lots of guys have used 22mag for coyotes. I use .17hmr with great success.

1/19/22 @ 8:59 AM
shootist7
PRO MEMBER User since 2/9/14

I know it's not a 22LR, but a buddy of mine shot a couple coyotes using his 17 HMR. Incredible what that little 17 caliber bullet did to them, nothing like high velocity! 

1/17/22 @ 9:05 PM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

I live on 3 rural acres but my one neighbor is too close to meet the legal shooting distance in my state. That being said we both take out pests from time to time. He hates possums for some reason.  I have dispatched  a few pests with 22 sub sonic loads. Very quiet out of my old bolt action rifle. However I suspect that unless your make that perfect headshot on a coyote it will run off and die under your neighbors swingset. 

1/17/22 @ 5:50 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

As others have said I think a crossbow would be a good option and I would add - even more effective than a 22 out to your range of accuracy.

1/17/22 @ 2:27 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

I agree with all said. a .22 up to 50 yards, but I would only take a head shot if you can do it. that would be very good shooting in my book. also I think I would use hollow points. I aint a expert but it would be my choice. I wouldnt want it running off wounded in your neighborhood. I dont bow hunt or even own any kind of bow but it would be a option if you have one and are good with it.

1/17/22 @ 9:36 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Crossbow is a very nice option if you can get close enough.  My fil lives in NB as well. Strict discharge options even in the rural landscape.

Trapping an option?  

1/17/22 @ 6:22 AM
Outa line
User since 8/9/21

Not sure if u r looking at buying a .22 but lots of AR style ones out there. Most have screw on flash hiders that can accommodate a suppressor which would be perfect. Also could mount a light on the rail. But yea, 50 yd head shots & CCI “Stingers”. Have fun.

1/16/22 @ 11:20 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

I have shot them with 22's,but ended up getting a 22mag.What about a crossbow.My barrnet shoots 1 inch at 40 yds with broodheads.

1/16/22 @ 9:16 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Ditto on the 50 yard range for adequate kill shot for 22 Lr.  Add another 25-50 yards if you can chamber 22 mags.

I remember taking a poke at little over 100yards once.  I was shocked on the drop and loss of energy. I don't mess around anymore, 30-30 or the .06 is called upon. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE