LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

12 gauge shotgun - side by side or over under?

4/8/20 @ 2:12 PM
INITIAL POST
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
User since 1/19/09

I'm in the market for a double barrel shotgun. I'm not looking for any specific brand recommendations, but want to know your preference.  Over/under or side by side, and why? 

Thanks in advance. Stay healthy! 

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
4/9/20 @ 2:59 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I have pumps, overunders, semiautos.  I love my old SxS 20 gauge Stevens.  It's a pheasant killing machine.  In the field i get asked about it all the time.

I bought it at gun show for 300 dollars.   One of my favorite shotguns.

Shellfish

4/9/20 @ 9:39 AM
Mountain
Mountain
User since 1/7/02

One shot.... How do you like that Stevens 555?

I have an old Remington O/U and like it. I would like a side/side, but can't really find much that is reasonable.

4/9/20 @ 8:33 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

Assuming all things equal I prefer SxS.  I like looking down the wide sighting plane.  

4/8/20 @ 8:05 PM
haf2fsh
PRO MEMBER User since 6/23/01

Started with a J.C. Higgin 16 ga. double barrel when I was a teenager, bought a Savage O/U 12 ga. when I was about 30, used it for maybe 30 years.  Last few years I bird hunted, I went back to an old side by side I got fro my uncle.  I was always a fan of the double triggers, the O/U was a single non select single trigger. Liked the idea of different chokes on each barrel. Both great options.............

4/8/20 @ 7:05 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Try both types on for size. I can't deal with seeing two barrels but to each their own.

Tim

4/8/20 @ 5:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I had a side by side  years ago . Now I have an over under .  Different times and much more shooting  , but I seem to do better with the over under . I have a Stevens 555 . About 500 $ .

Displaying 16 to 22 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE