LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Guns & Shooting

12 gauge shotgun - side by side or over under?

4/8/20 @ 2:12 PM
INITIAL POST
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
User since 1/19/09

I'm in the market for a double barrel shotgun. I'm not looking for any specific brand recommendations, but want to know your preference.  Over/under or side by side, and why? 

Thanks in advance. Stay healthy! 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
4/14/20 @ 10:11 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Ruger Red Label 12 ga O/U, shot a lot of pheasants with it.

4/14/20 @ 9:55 AM
cantworkgottafish
User since 5/8/10

Regarding the CZ Sharptail if it is anything like CZ's predecessor the Ringneck I'd give it a big thumbs down.  

I bought a Ringneck a few years ago because it was at that time one of few double barrels available in 16 gauge.

The Ringneck was a big disappointment.  

The first one I got had issues with shells sticking in the tubes / the extractors not working and after a couple days of use the 2nd barrel started misfiring.  I brought it back to Scheels and they were great about it they replaced it with another without any trouble.  

The second one has shoddy wood to metal fit in a couple of spots.  The gun is heavy their website specs say 6.8 # but in reality it weighs in at 7.3#.  Worst of all the "case hardening" on the metal seems to be a cheap chemical dip finish.  It is wearing off in spots with very little use of the gun.

Balance and feel of the Ringneck are OK but only in comparison to other cheap or entry grade guns.  If you pick up a nice gun (say a Beretta or Cesaur Guerini) then try the CZ it feels like a log.

In my experience the CZ gets the job done but really has none of the refinement and style people are typically looking for when they go to a double gun.

If you are interested in a fairly inexpensive over under that is a LOT NICER look at a Franchi Instinct.  (It's an over under not a side by side so it might not be what you want.)  I have one in 16 gauge also.  It is the cat's ass.  It's a little plain looking but well balanced, and functions perfectly.  It's also incredibly light weight 5.8 #. This makes it super lively in your hands, quick pointing and easy to carry many miles.  I got one about 3 years ago when they first came out with it in 16 gauge.  It has pretty much become my go to gun for grouse and woodcock getting used more often than a couple 20 gauges I have that cost a lot more.   

4/14/20 @ 7:34 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Has anyone purchased or used a CZ sxs sharptail??  They look like beautiful shotguns.  

4/12/20 @ 9:40 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/06

Fritz, check out a used SKB/Ithaca. Really nice for the $! I have a model 280 with the English stock. Nice woodcock and grouse gun!

4/12/20 @ 3:15 PM
Fisher Doon
Fisher Doon
User since 1/19/09

Thank you for all the feedback! 

4/12/20 @ 6:16 AM
olswampdog
User since 10/6/04

I have a couple of O/U that fit well (Fausti Traditions) and seem easier to shoot (I grew up with a Win Model 12).  That being said, there is something special about using an old SXS in the field. You seem to be taken back in time. The one I use the most is a Fox Sterlingworth simply because it feels better than the LC's I have.

4/11/20 @ 7:54 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01

I got a Citori (o/u) in '79.  I still have it and is my go to bird gun.  A couple of years ago I was gifted a SXS which my uncle had and was previously my granddad's.  It has double triggers, which I have struggled with.

I sometimes wish I had gone with the SXS back when I bought the O/U because now I want a single trigger light weight SXS that fits me to add to my collection, but I'm having trouble finding one. Back in '79 there were a couple of good options available. I still feel I made the right decision back then.

Fritz

4/11/20 @ 11:13 AM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

S×S is more of tradition like

You hv to like the style...I own a Charles Daly 20g. 3in mag sxs mod and full choke originally...bought in the early 60's....when 12 ga lead loads became illegal fr waterfowl....later on my hunting leaned more towards upland ...had chokes opened and back bored ...great experience carrying sxs...

Not for everyone 

4/10/20 @ 7:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

In Richfield across from Cabell , the is an indoor place called The Range . I think you can rent and try different firearms .

4/10/20 @ 4:11 PM
gotmylimit
User since 12/12/03

It ultimately comes down to how it feels in your hands.  I have both ,  my O/U swing better and doesn't miss much when I pull the trigger .  My preferred Citori is a high quality shotgun just feels perfect ...  but those side by sides really have a classic look and bring back  memories of the old timers so ya nostalgia has its place in deciding what to get .  It's probably not that easy to test em out unless you know someone that has a couple ... 

4/10/20 @ 10:36 AM
Musky Ben
User since 3/13/02

fisher doon:

Having coached high school trap, it would seem that an over/under would be the better choice.  Having said that I've never had either style and only pumps.  I would love to have a O/U 20 for upland game hunting here in the Northwoods!!!

Musky Ben

4/9/20 @ 9:24 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

I bought a Steven's 555 12 gauge a couple of years ago, it was light and felt great unless it double fired which it did to me 5 times . The first few I thought it was me on the recoil. It wasn't me it was the gun , I did a little research and found out it was common. Ive read they've changed the trigger mechanism.  Cabelas took the gun back and gave me my money back, they never do that. I now own a Winchester 101 feild , beautiful gun. The only thing it needs is a better shooter. 

4/9/20 @ 8:27 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I have grandpa’s side by each 12 gauge. Used it for years and it was a great Gun. I inherited a Made for Ithaca SKB 700 when I graduated from college. O/U rocks for trap shooting and pheasant hunting compared to SxS. JMO.

4/9/20 @ 3:31 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Mountain 

I like the Stevens a lot . So far I've only done sporting clays . What I liked besides the (price) is that the 20 gauge was a lot lighter than the 12  . I bought the 20. 

4/9/20 @ 3:03 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

It is easier to switch from a pump or auto to an O/U. If you have an English Setter it is almost mandatory you go afield with a SxS and a tweed hat.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE