SEARCH
MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Wire vs Mono slide divers

6/9/21 @ 9:30 PM
INITIAL POST
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

So thinking of adding to my arsenal when the waves are too big running boards. I already run 2 downriggers and 2 wire divers. Just curious if running slide divers in rougher water or in general is it best to go with mono or wire? Thanks 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts
8/2/22 @ 11:35 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

it's a problem on the riggers as well if you run 30lb mono.  I think the same happens for pump handles using mono. Last trip I didn't run my riggers due to the fleas.  If I hooked up I'd be clogged up the tip during the fight, bad deal.  Rather than check the rigger pole every 10 min, I just didn't run them and went with wires, cores and copper.  You can up the riggers to 50lb test, but you will have more blow back.  This time of year it's just a wait it out process.  Should be done in the next week or so. 

8/2/22 @ 10:22 AM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15

sure peeps do it that way all the time.  The major downside of braid is spiny water fleas.  You won't be running that braid starting the last week of july until they clear up.  They are a major pain.  Wire fairs much better then braid as do lead cores and copper.  Also, Wire always runs deeper compared to braid.  It's the density.  The wire will also hum some what like rigger cable.  Wire is generally more productive than braid. 

11/22/21 @ 7:11 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Medium Heavy for sure. We usually run a Talora 8'-6" wire mag diver and a Talora 9'-6" braid mag diver outside of it. 

11/21/21 @ 1:12 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

As for a rod with a braid diver any recommendations? Medium or medium heavy? I will be running an inside mag wire diver so I know the length should be at least a foot longer

8/8/21 @ 10:26 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

High Diver reset right down the chute

This one around the 6:30 mark shows how to set the outside dipsey right down the chute out the back of the boat.   Free spool it for about 60 feet then engage the reel so it starts cutting over and around your deeper diver and rigger. 

8/8/21 @ 9:25 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Double Divers     https://youtu.be/drUXYml0E7Q

3:30 mark is the high diver beeing set and kinda casted out 10 feet to get outside.    

8/8/21 @ 9:20 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Let the line out the back then flip the diver outside your low diver like you are pitching a jig.   Once you get it outside just thumb it to keep tension so it keeps planing out away from the boat.  

You can also just set the diver right down the chute and never let it fet more than a foot deep and hold tension.   Itll just creep out to the side like it is supposed to.  

8/8/21 @ 12:12 AM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

So I guess after reading all these comments if you're running double divers with a mag on the inside diver and a slide diver up higher.  If you get a fish on the slide diver how do you re-deploy the rig to avoid getting caught up on your inside wire diver?

6/14/21 @ 8:53 AM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

As others have said, braid.

Side note: I tried the slide divers but just couldn't like them. The downside to them is the time it takes to deploy (you have to hold the diver with one hand and pull out the leader with the other) and the fact that the diver stays attached to the rod all the time.

They work fine once in the water. I use a version of the s-biner set-up and much prefer it. No dipsy's on the rod, no dispy leaders to mess with when setting up or tearing down, and you still get the benefit of the long leader.

6/11/21 @ 4:25 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
User since 3/30/04

Running it like fishmunkee for years and it works for me.    When its all in the water you have a  lure, 4 feet of flouro, swivel, 75 feet of heavy mono that the diver can slide on then braid in the water and on the reel.    I catch alof of fish with a mag slide on 3 setting out 80 in the dark and 120 to 150 when the sun is up.   

6/11/21 @ 12:17 PM
FlyAllDay
User since 11/2/04

I use Okuma Convector reels anyone the size you need for braid slide divers? Thanks

6/10/21 @ 9:05 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

X2 on using power pro on slide divers

6/10/21 @ 7:51 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

I have braid (power pro) on my slide divers attached to 50-75' of mono that the slide divers actually slide on. Works out well.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE