MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

Wire line dipsys

4/17/17 @ 9:55 PM
INITIAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

In fear of getting completely ridiculed I have yet to ask this question... but I will anyway.

I've been hearing a lot about a wire dipsey set up lately. How is that set up?

I have used wire on boards, but I have not seen or witnessed a dipsey wire set.

I personaly use mono slide divers and that's really simple. No problems in using them.

I assume the wire is in front of the dipsey and the line is played out just like a traditional dipsey. Correct?

So my thinking is wire spooled on reel with small swivel, then 75' ish floro  leader then bait?

I have looked online for a "directions on spooling and set up" but I can't seem to find the answers to fill in the blanks.

Unlike other places on here, I have found you Great Lakes guys are very nice to us beginners and I'm just looking for advice. I'm thinking I'm possibly missing out and should have this in my arsenal for next year.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
1/31/20 @ 11:16 AM
the bounty hunter
User since 6/2/19

Jason,what brand and strand of wire do you use

1/28/20 @ 8:21 AM
Jason Woda
User since 9/1/01

Wire line rods should not have any connections other than to the backing. Line to line splices are not recommended. Each wire line set up should have 1000 feet of wire on the real. As years go by you just keep cutting back the wire every season or if you get a kink. if spooled properlyand depending on how much you fish the wire should last you a number of years before you have to re-spool

1/26/20 @ 5:42 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Bounty hunter- 

Yes, use a small barrel swivel. I use 50# size 8 Spro’s for all line to line connections for my trolling gear. I don’t know but I don’t think a wire direct to wire connection would be good. 

1/24/20 @ 7:51 PM
the bounty hunter
User since 6/2/19

does anyone know if I can connect wire to wire?

4/8/19 @ 8:10 PM
Aluma1
User since 4/12/03

I just use cheap okuma regular downrigger rods model CP-DD-902M. They also make a 10 footer. I take the rod tip off and use a twilli tip in its place. That’s a spring gizmo that protects the wire. If you are not fishing allot I have not had any trouble with the wire eating away at the guides. If I do have issues the rods are only 30 bucks.  With the twilli tip you want to use a decent large size swivel. When not fishing you want to reel the swivel into the twilli tip. Otherwise the wire can get curly cued at the end. It is weaker then. If you see that cut some off and retire the swivel. Using wire I always use something like dreamweavers rubber snubber. Not luhr Jensen they fall apart.  That’s hooked on the back of the dipsy. I do not use wire when I am fishing shallow. Run wire on one side and slide driver or braid diver on the other. The fish will tell you what they want that day. Look up wire dipsy knot on youtube for directions.  I like Malin Multistrand Wire Line 30 pound. Hook the wire direct to the dipsy. Then the snubber on the back with decent say 25 pound flou or mono to your lure. Not more then your rod length behind the dipsy.

4/7/19 @ 8:27 AM
bite me
User since 11/28/06

Anyone hear anything good or bad about the new Okuma Convector Pro wire rods. I run

Okuma coldwater pro rods now just wondering if they are better or worse than what i have now .I need to get a few more wire rods and coldwater are discontinued.

4/2/19 @ 9:11 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

we run 2.2 to 2.5 down speed with ff. most days the wire will out do the braid. we really don't fish prime time  we hit the water at 5 am. and get off at 5 - 6 pm.

3/28/19 @ 5:31 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
I'm running depth raider at 1.9-2.1.
3/28/19 @ 12:25 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

Our wire rods are 8'6". We run them parallel to the water, drags set to creep, and dipsy release just tight enough. The real issue is getting them bit. Period. They just don't get hit as often compared to the braid dipsies. I'm flummoxed. Kinda frustrating when I see tons of Youtube videos where guys get bit a lot on wire. 

What speed do you Fishhawk/Subtroll guys troll at when running flasher flies on wire dipsies?? I've heard 1.9. Maybe we troll too fast? When they don't get bit during prime time, we usually resort to spoons and kick our speed up. Maybe it was just an off year for us. I dunno.

Jimmy

3/27/19 @ 12:00 PM
shagboy
User since 8/4/03

When spooling the wire line on the reel make sure it is on the reel tight.That will stop the line from sinking into the spool of line on your reel. I will put it on.Then the first time out I will put a 1 pound ball and flasher on it. Let 3/4 to all  out then crank it back on when trolling. Tie a swivel snap on the line hook that to the dipsy then a rubber snubber we run a 9 foot 25 pound test leads to the f.f. or spoon.  when letting it out let it out slow to avoid back lash. run them on the inside as mentioned and your slide dive on the out side. 

3/15/19 @ 10:04 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
deeper diver is bigger and has more lead than a regular dipsy with a ring.  That will give higher drag running thru the water which means you have to set higher drag on the reel.  I run #20-25 7' leaders.  Overall, I am thinking my setup is softer on the hit with more drag on a run due to the twilli?
3/15/19 @ 8:58 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

We fish mornings mostly, but the results were similar throughout the season regardless. I'll try some tournament rigs (have a few). We do run snubbers, with 40 lb fluoro leaders. We actually tried a 20 foot long 25# fluoro leader and this didn't seem to help really. I always run the dipsies to creep out line on a turn or speed kick. 

Hoping we can get some things figured out as a lot of $$$ went into these set-ups. 

Our best rods were riggers last year, followed by 10 color LC and 225 CU. For a little while, a 10' braid dipsy rod running a Brad's cut plug was absolutely dynamite for cohos and bows.

3/15/19 @ 5:56 PM
X-Ray
X-Ray
User since 3/30/15
I assume you have a snubber on.  Mono leader length from snubber to flasher is 7'.  Regular dipsies with rings.  I had  a similar problem in 2017 that seems to have been resolved by going with tournament rigging on the flies (I tie the t rig myself) in the later part of 2017 and all of 2018.  However, I had high netting rates on regular tied flies as well in 2018, just ran mostly t rigs.  The number of fish I lost on wires in 2018 was less than 5 meaning they came off once I had the rod. I am not counting a drive by.  I am running twillis (which I think suck, but I am too cheap to by roller rods) on medium heavy 9'+ rods.  I run the drag as loose as I can meaning it will click on a swell or a turn.  I feel that a twilli adds drag that behaves differently than the reel drag.  Prior to taking it out of the rod holder, I do loosen the drag and let the fish run as I collect the rod and then slowly bring up the drag.  Overall, my netting rate was very high compared to 2017.  Oddly, 2018 for me was dominated by wire dipsies and downriggers with f/f.  LC was quiet.  This might be due to when I fish which is sunset bite.
3/15/19 @ 4:47 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I realize it's a tad early to discuss wire dipsies, nevertheless I have an inquiry regarding running these. Last year, my partner and I set up 2 wire dipsy rods, using the 124 mm deeper divers. I wish I could say they improved our dipsy bite, but they were decidedly quiet most trips. We ran F/F's on them as well as spoons, and they just never got bit with any consistency. The other thing, was that we lost lots of fish when they did get hit, which was not so much a problem with the braid dipsies we always used. I am running Blood Run 7 strand wire on Tekota 600's. A LOT OF FISH shook off a few seconds after a hit, many times just as we were pulling the rod out of the holder. I even tried backing the drag off a bit just before pulling the rod out to ease pressure, but that seemed to make it even worse. I want these things to catch fish like everyone says they do, just didn't have that experience. Any suggestions??

Jimmy

Team Bow's n Ho's

4/19/17 @ 11:44 AM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

The weight is 7oz, and a bigger ring. Essentially making it a mag dipsy. I had 225 feet of line out last year and was around 100 down if I remember correctly. "U-Charters slide diver ultimate ring and weight set" is the name of it.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 28 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE