MORE
Great Lakes Fishing

What brand copper to run?

5/13/20 @ 4:08 PM
INITIAL POST
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Adding a copper rig this year. Any suggestions on what brand line to run?

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
7/2/20 @ 12:03 AM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Update on weighted steel set up. I got 1 king and lost a big one tonight running it. 

Definitely gonna take some getting used to. I’m so glad I went with the big okuma with 4’ of line pick up with each turn. It’s a beast but worth it for the line recovery.

Now I just got to get out with my partner more. That solo stuff gets interesting....

6/2/20 @ 1:19 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

I decided to go 300 weighted steel on an Okuma cw-553ls for its line recovery and capacity. Should all be set up by Wednesday. Now all I need is to get it wet... I will keep you posted.

5/16/20 @ 8:57 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

That looks superb Grey Beard! Thank you for all the info you generously give on and off the water.

5/15/20 @ 4:19 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I abandoned the Albright on my 45# coppers because it is bulky and at times will hang up on the rod tip. Most of my copper rods have ceramic guides so I wasn’t too excited to use a barrel swivel. 

I heard Capt. Arnie Arrendondo describe his copper knot and it sounded like a good compromise. He uses a small nail that he places in about a 1.5” bend of the copper and twists it as tight as you can to make a very small eye in the copper. He continued to twist the remaining length of copper like a haywire twist. He then covered the copper with 3/32” shrink tube (that was placed on the copper prior to the twists) and left part of the hole exposed. I then squeezed the “eye” with a pliers to elongate it more and make it smaller. You can then tie whatever knot you like for backing and leader. This version will make it easierfaster and less expensive to change the leader. 

5/14/20 @ 10:06 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

ps I have not used weighted steel but those that have seem to like it. I've read the claim it has same dive curve has been disputed by some. One post said the dive curve of the 45# steel is similar to 32# copper. Regardless if I want to get deeper than my 300 dives I add a Snap Weight in various sizes. Most say steel is easier to run but similar reaction to 32# copper vs 45#.

Looks like 300' of 45# copper and 45# steel same price at Fish Usa

Grey Beard

5/14/20 @ 2:02 AM
vetting82
vetting82
User since 2/23/11

Skip the copper and go with weighted steel - best thing since sliced bread.  Same sink rate and dont have to deal with the kinks.  Newbies can deploy it with a little practice which you cant do with copper.

5/13/20 @ 5:11 PM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02

I don't have a brand preference but Blood Run has a good reputation as well as Howie tackle. 

I think more important is to buy the tinned version because it is easier to work with. Next question would be 45 vs 32#. From what I have read the dive curve for 300' only gets you down about 4 more feet with 45#. Of course depends on speed and what type of lure.

If I only had one setup it would be 300' but remember to get a reel with enough capacity. I use about 75' of 30# mono between the copper and 40# braid backing, around 300yds. The mono in between gives me something I can attach my Off Shore Pro mag in-line planer. 

I would choose 300' because it produces, gives you a deeper presentation when warm water shows and is very stealthy. I use 45# because that's what I started with and have gotten used to deploying. When letting out copper I do it with the drag vs clicker. That keeps some tension on the line so it doesn't recoil and cause a snarl. Let it out slowly and carefully. I only have a couple of partners I trust deploying copper.

Good luck,

Grey Beard

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE