MENU Lake-Link.com MORE

VHF Handheld radio

3/12/19 @ 8:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Clay34
Clay34
USER since 3/22/08
 Sorry, I'm posting so many questions. I looked through this entire section and did a search for VHF and found nothing.

I need a radio as the next piece of safety gear for the big pond.  I really like the features of the Cobra MHH600, but the reputation of the Standard Horizon HX890 still attracks me.

What features do you find important? I'm fishing out of a kayak so a handheld is for me.

Just beginning this search  so suggestions are welcome.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts
5/9/19 @ 8:19 AM
EYE_SKI
EYE_SKI
USER since 3/26/19

Standard Horizon HX300..  floats and has performed flawlessly

Post Your Comment
4/27/19 @ 11:05 AM
Clay34
Clay34
USER since 3/22/08

James the Standard Horizon radio that I bought does float, but also from lessons learned my GoPro Hero 5 Black from earlier this month did NOT float in Lake Michigan.  I am now the owner of a GoPro Hero 7 Black and it will have a leash permanently attached to it. 

I feel your pain. 

Post Your Comment
4/27/19 @ 9:31 AM
JamesD
JamesD
MEMBER since 2/16/04

Get one that floats or has it's own life jacket........speaking from experience here.

Post Your Comment
4/26/19 @ 7:53 PM
Clay34
Clay34
USER since 3/22/08

I wanted to do a quick follow up on my research.  I bought this radio: 

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=182D978C9908C3DD4EBE62DC0E44BFED&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

This was one of the articles that I found helpful:

https://bestmarineradio.com/standard-horizon-hx890-vhf-radio-review/

This article too:

https://bestmarineradio.com/vhf-radio/handheld-marine-radios/

Thanks everyone for the help with what to consider.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 11:21 AM
LuckyC
LuckyC
USER since 2/12/17

Here's a pic of it on my vest. 

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:58 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
And there you go!  LuckyC to the rescue.  You might get more hits on some of these questions on the Wisconsin Kayak Fishing Club FB group. 

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:44 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
Again, seems like a nice feature.  I don't have one.  Kind of want one, but for now, I stick with a float plan and keep in touch with my wife and others via cell phone.  No idea how well it works, but hopefully you can find someone that has some real world experience with one.  If I'm ever in the market for a VHF in the future, I'll probably be taking a long look at those models.  I'm also curious how big they are, since I do wear my VHF on my life jacket.  

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:37 AM
LuckyC
LuckyC
USER since 2/12/17

I bought the HH600 last year and the battery life seems to be good.  I bluetooth music thru it all day and have yet to run out of battery in an outing.  I can pick up most of the charter chatter.  I can't vouch whether the emergency buttons work as I've yet to call the Coast Guard for assistance.  ;)

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 10:19 AM
Clay34
Clay34
USER since 3/22/08

Thanks Mark for the words of Wisdom. This site has been very helpful with spending my money wisely.

Hopefully can get through the "buying stuff" phase and get into the "actual fishing" stage soon.

I'm familiar with Icom in that my HF rig is an Icom (ham radio).  They make nice stuff.

Agreed battery life is always important. What do you think of these GPS enabled radios that transmit your coordinates if you need help using DSC? Sounds nice if you are forced to fish by yourself on certain days.

Post Your Comment
3/13/19 @ 5:09 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
As far as the radios you mentioned, I'm sure they'd be good. I don't have any experience with them, so I can't comment. The HH600 seems nice - I just wonder what the battery life is like with all the features engaged. 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 12 Posts